Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protesters

Options
  • 16-04-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Five Clare students this week addressed elected representatives of the local authority demanding action on climate change.
    Eight recommendations were proposed by the five students. These were to declare a climate emergency, increasing energy resources in Clare, the introduction of an outright ban on single-use plastics, to provide grants for zero waste shops and businesses, an investment in sustainable transport methods, school buses to collect Ennis students going to Ennis schools, more frequent pedestrianisation of main streets and the rewilding of Council owned land.

Here's a few other recommendations the protesters themselves could undertake. After all, setting a good example is what we all can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I have no doubt these students with their vast life experience provided details on where the costs for these initiatives will come from while people are knocking on deaths door in the back of ambulances on their way to a trolley in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I have no doubt these students with their vast life experience provided details on where the costs for these initiatives will come from while people are knocking on deaths door in the back of ambulances on their way to a trolley in Limerick?

Don't shoot the messengers.

Funding: a good start would be to tax aviation fuel and airline tickets. Recoup the costs of airline infrastructure from airlines. We could tax multinationals properly too. Shut down tax havens. The bank bailouts were a tax on Irish people, they were an injustice.

Specifically regarding hospital trolleys, I'd be asking why so many people are sick in the first place.

Advertisement