Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have to use spoilers in episode discussion threads?

Options
  • 16-04-2019 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I think it ruins the thread, especially for anyone on mobile. I see the rebels in the non-book readers thread haven't been using spoilers and it hasn't caused any issues. Can anyone think of even one good reason for this rule?

Seriously, if you are dumb enough to enter a discussion thread before you've seen the episode, you deserve to have it ruined.

I can understand a rule not to start threads with spoilers in the title but that's the only concession I think is reasonable.

Should we have to use spoilers in episode discussion threads? 86 votes

Yes
    97% 84 votes
    No
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Categorically no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Absolutely not, they ruin the reading experience of the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

If someone who hasn’t seen a particular episode decides to read that episode discussion thread then they are playing with fire.And ice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

no

Can we change the poll?

I think there should be spoiler tags for anything in the preview for the following week. I never watch those and am not sure if they're allowed to be talked about.

As for what has been shown, no. The thread is a spoiler-zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Can we change the poll?

I think there should be spoiler tags for anything in the preview for the following week. I never watch those and am not sure if they're allowed to be talked about.

People are not allowed to discuss the next episode or previews in the current discussion thread. That came up a few years ago and is something I agree with 100%. I never watch previews and like going into an episode blind. It's also in the rules in the op of discussion threads.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    People are not allowed to discuss the next episode or previews in the current discussion thread. That came up a few years ago and is something I agree with 100%. I never watch previews and like going into an episode blind. It's also in the rules in the op of discussion threads.

ArsTechnica posted a spoiler warning for S1-7 and S8E1... And then they go and spoil based on either the preview or some other external piece of information. Very very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

For any person who goes into a discussion thread before watching the episode, just one question, why?

ArsTechnica posted a spoiler warning for S1-7 and S8E1... And then they go and spoil based on either the preview or some other external piece of information. Very very annoying.
    That's not on. There is a speculation thread where people can post stuff like that (at least I think they can post there, I haven't been in that thread because I don't want to spoil it). They can start a new thread to talk about previews etc but episode discussion threads should only be for that episode as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Absolutely not. I mean if you're stupid enough to click into the thread of an episode you haven't watched....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Absolutely not. It's kinda ridiculous, you don't have much business reading threads about a specific episode having not seen it. There's literally an entire forum for stuff not related to any specific episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What confuses me is why there are still book and non book threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

What confuses me is why there are still book and non book threads.

because there are still differences in the arcs of characters etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The people whining about spoiler tags are worse than the potential spoilers tbh.

The people whining about spoiler tags are worse than the potential spoilers tbh.
    A lot of people use mobile and can't read the spoilers. What they end up seeing is a thread full of redacted comments.

On touch, clicking them shows the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

no, puts a strain on those who have seen the episodes, stay away if you havent. chat should be free flowing without dicking around with spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Put the word spoilers in the title and you're sorted.

Anyone that goes into a thread about an episode they haven't seen yet is asking for trouble anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Protecting morons from themselves seems to be the way of the world these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Unless an episode is leaked there is no need for it imo.

• Advertisement

It effectively stops me posting from my phone. No way I'm going doing their tags manually.

I think we can all agree that it's the stupidest thing possible and is likely only done so mods can moderate the thread before seeing the episode themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It effectively stops me posting from my phone. No way I'm going doing their tags manually.

I think we can all agree that it's the stupidest thing possible and is likely only done so mods can moderate the thread before seeing the episode themselves.
    If a post is reported (i.e. spoiler) it does not matter if it is spoiler tagged or not; the reported post notification has the full text in it without tags. Hence for a moderation point of view it don't make a difference if something is spoiler tagged or not when we need to go check a thread (and out of the last 3 seasons I can only recall one occasion I had not seen the episode before moderating a thread so it's a non issue from a moderator stand point). It was put in place however due to users (for what ever reason) reading the thread before finishing the episode.

Nody wrote: »
    If a post is reported (i.e. spoiler) it does not matter if it is spoiler tagged or not; the reported post notification has the full text in it without tags. Hence for a moderation point of view it don't make a difference if something is spoiler tagged or not when we need to go check a thread (and out of the last 3 seasons I can only recall one occasion I had not seen the episode before moderating a thread so it's a non issue from a moderator stand point). It was put in place however due to users (for what ever reason) reading the thread before finishing the episode.

Honestly, if people are stupid enough to read the thread, it's safe to assume they're highlighting the spoiler text as well.

Nobody wants the rule because some people have an IQ of 70.

Nody wrote: »
    If people are dumb enough to enter a discussion thread before they've finished the episode, that's their problem. The rule in unfair to the majority of the forum and everyone is ignoring it anyway. Unless mods are going to ban 97% of the forum, I can't see it working :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If people are dumb enough to enter a discussion thread before they've finished the episode, that's their problem. The rule in unfair to the majority of the forum and everyone is ignoring it anyway. Unless mods are going to ban 97% of the forum, I can't see it working :P
    Well we're in season 8 and I could use the stat improvement in the list of number of banned users per mod :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can we change the poll?

Hundred percent agree.

I think the real issue is spoilers in relation to future episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

There is no need for spoilers in specific episode threads for content that relates to the episode being discussed and its just a pain in the ass when people zealously over spoiler tag everything.

However, it is a problem when people post spoilers without tags about other content such as trailers, in episode specific threads.

Or when people post episode content in non episode discussion threads before other people have had a chance to see the episode.

In fairness, I have reported the above and its been acted upon quite quickly.

Advertisement