Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaweed and hydrengias?

Options
  • 15-04-2019 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have planted hydrengias (about 2ft tall) on stoney ground on the burren. Brought in some topsoil and even subsoil for some of them. Hydrengias are hardy so I'm hoping that they will take off.. do you guys think I would get away with bringing in heaps of seaweed and putting it over and around the subsoil so the top of the roots won't be exposed to the elements and the existing topsoil won't get washed away.

I know it would be very salty so mabie it would work to wash or steep the seaweed in a barrel to get rid of some of the salt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Bernice101 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have planted hydrengias (about 2ft tall) on stoney ground on the burren. Brought in some topsoil and even subsoil for some of them. Hydrengias are hardy so I'm hoping that they will take off.. do you guys think I would get away with bringing in heaps of seaweed and putting it over and around the subsoil so the top of the roots won't be exposed to the elements and the existing topsoil won't get washed away.

I know it would be very salty so mabie it would work to wash or steep the seaweed in a barrel to get rid of some of the salt?

Some sort of mulch would be a good idea. If the seaweed was left out in heavy rain it might allow the salt to be washed off a bit but if you have the patience to wash it yourself that would probably help it as well. I would also be inclined to pull out the grass in between the hydrangeas as well as when it is alive the roots will be drawing out moisture that could benefit the hydrangeas. Once dead the tufts of grass could be part of the mulch as well. Hydrangeas need water so you probably will need to give them some if we get a period without rain.

Advertisement