Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay into pension scheme with a

Options
  • 15-04-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm getting a sizeable bonus from my current employer. I've been asked do I want it as a one off payment or paid into a pension scheme. As I currently have no pension scheme with my current employer or private pension, could I open a pension scheme and dump the one off payment into that account without having to regularly pay monthly into that account? I suppose its tax avoidance and understand that if I get it as a lump sum now minus tax would it be better to pay into a pension? How would tax deductions work on the pension account when I draw down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

223vmax wrote: »
    could I open a pension scheme and dump the one off payment into that account without having to regularly pay monthly into that account?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

223vmax wrote: »
    How would tax deductions work on the pension account when I draw down?

works like income does now. pension becomes your income in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Can you close down a pension scheme and transfer into a regular account before you retire? ( I understand that there would be tax deductible)

Are there penalties involved in closing down pension accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Policy Review

You will find it near impossible to close down a pension, unless its under a certain amount and you have to take early retirement due to ill health for example. Once the money is in a pension pot you can claim the tax back which is a great benefit and the money will be handy for when you retire. The state pension is not a golden ticket and can be quite difficult to live on alone.

Advertisement