Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition Standard Scratch

Options
  • 14-04-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know is there a formula to working out competition Standard scratch or is it just down to competitions secretary / committee?

Reason i ask is i have won the nett and gross in both the March and April medals in our club (lowest handicap in club by about 5 and alot of members play for social not competition). Anyway i won both with +1 nett and +2 nett and got no reduction for either. Today the weather was atrocious wet, windy miserable, placing on fairways only, play as lies everywhere else!

So any ideas why although above handicap i didn't get cut for the win when obviously conditions lead to higher competition scores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does anyone know is there a formula to working out competition Standard scratch or is it just down to competitions secretary / committee?

Reason i ask is i have won the nett and gross in both the March and April medals in our club (lowest handicap in club by about 5 and alot of members play for social not competition). Anyway i won both with +1 nett and +2 nett and got no reduction for either. Today the weather was atrocious wet, windy miserable, placing on fairways only, play as lies everywhere else!

So any ideas why although above handicap i didn't get cut for the win when obviously conditions lead to higher competition scores?

It's a congu formula.

Do you know the scores were higher or just think it?
    What was reported css and what is course sss?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.hh-gs.com/CONGU.htm
    Competition Standard Scratch Calculation
    This is not a straight forward calculation. Broadly speaking, the calculation is as follows :

1.Discount all scores returned by category 4 players (handicaps 21 and above).
    2.Calculate the percentage of players who competed in the competition in each of the categories 1 (H/Cap 1-6), 2 (H/Cap 6-12), and 3 (H/Cap 13-20).
    3.Calculate the percentage of scores returned by the category 1, 2 and 3 players which were two over the Standard Scratch Score or the course or better.
    4.Use the percentages from points 2 and 3 to determine the Competition Standard Scratch Score by referring to one of the two published tables supplied by CONGU for this purpose
    5.Should points 2 and 3 show 0% then the Competition Standard Scratch is deemed to be SSS+3.

Category ranges may be different for women, I am not sure. But if as you said in a previous thread, there may be very few lady golfers lower than 20 in your club, there might not be enough scores being returned to dramatically affect the CSS from the SSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Rikand wrote:
    Category ranges may be different for women, I am not sure. But if as you said in a previous thread, there may be very few lady golfers lower than 20 in your club, there might not be enough scores being returned to dramatically affect the CSS from the SSS

I'm the only player in cat 2 there (6-12). That explains it so. Thanks. Bot CSS and SSS we're 72. We use masterscore board so you can see everyone's score nett, gross handicap etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rikand wrote: »
    http://www.hh-gs.com/CONGU.htm

Interesting. I thought that they had changed the rules in the last year or so about the Cat 4s, and were now including them in the CSS calc.

Thanks for that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was pretty sure Cat 4 were also included now too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slave1 wrote: »
    I was pretty sure Cat 4 were also included now too
    Yep. They're included with Category 3 now in the calculation. So it's Cat 1, Cat2 and Cat 3 & 4.

Edit: From the CONGU Manual (this is before the introduction of Cat 5 and 6)

477830.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Ignore me you mentioned it in the OP...duh!

Advertisement