Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro sterling exchange query

Options
  • 14-04-2019 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ok just a quick question .wife and I going to UK For a week next Wednesday .I have about 1500euro spending money .where in your op is the best place to change euro to sterling..in Ireland or in the Uk thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

shamnspace wrote: »
    Ok just a quick question .wife and I going to UK For a week next Wednesday .I have about 1500euro spending money .where in your op is the best place to change euro to sterling..in Ireland or in the Uk thanks in advance

Withdraw/charge as you need it. Changing cash is the most expensive and dangerous way to do it. I'd never have more than £100 in cash at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shamnspace

Maybe I'll have to change my ways so as I allways carry enough cash to do do me for the holiday changing maybe 500 or so as I need it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Revolut - If next Wednesday isn't this Wednesday coming then you should have plenty of time to get the card to you. Otherwise I'm sure there is a way to hook it up to the phone and use that as a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The post office here don't charge any commission

Revolut - If next Wednesday isn't this Wednesday coming then you should have plenty of time to get the card to you. Otherwise I'm sure there is a way to hook it up to the phone and use that as a card.
    Tis next Wednesday coming .iv heard of revolut allright but never used it suppose I should seeing as im a seasoned enough traveller thanks for your answer much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tis next Wednesday coming .iv heard of revolut allright but never used it suppose I should seeing as im a seasoned enough traveller thanks for your answer much appreciated

Order one this evening anyway. You'll have it soon. At least for the next trip

It's he only card I use on Amazon uk due to the rates.

Order card in the app from the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

whelan2 wrote:

Maybe not, but check and compare the exchange rate they offer!

marko99 wrote: »
    whelan2 wrote:

Maybe not, but check and compare the exchange rate they offer!
    I remember a few years back in Bristol went into the PO there to change a couple hundred an the teller there said quietly to me better to go accross the road to a cash for gold place so over I went got around 15 st more or so over there ..better in my pocket than theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Try also Tesco some stores eg Pembroke dock do an in store exchange service last time I checked they were definitely better than the UK PO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

U.K. post office is actually Bank of Ireland, so you'll only get the BOI rate which is usually crap.
    Revolut doesn't have Apple Pay so you'll still need a physical card.

• Advertisement

I meant the post office in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

U.K. post office is actually Bank of Ireland, so you'll only get the BOI rate which is usually crap.
    Revolut doesn't have Apple Pay so you'll still need a physical card.

Google pay takes revolut though.

So you can tap and pay with your phone on Google pay.

No stupid 30 euro transaction limit either.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I meant the post office in Ireland.
    Ah I know should have made it clear I was referring to the UK counterpart in my reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

listermint wrote: »
    Order one this evening anyway. You'll have it soon. At least for the next trip

It's he only card I use on Amazon uk due to the rates.

Order card in the app from the app store.

Also you do get a digital card straight away. Pair that with the phone if you can? And tap away..... Also exchange live (except at weekends) in the app or don't you still get the interbank exchange I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Which, based on the number of times it's quoted on boards, is a great sales pitch. But if you think that 'no commission' trumps a better exchange rate then you're setting yourself up to be ripped off.

What An Post do every day is to set their rate between AIB and BoI. I've tested this on umpteen occaasions and the post office is never the best for currency exchange, even with their 'no commission' BS. AIB or BoI is always best with the post office always in the middle. Did it yesterday for my sister who was buying sterling, AIB was best, then An Post, then BoI.

Look at AIB and BoI rates and pick the best on the day, don't bother going near a post office. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But they make up for it by giving a crap rate.

Open a Revolut account and you might get the card in time. Then just top it up by using your credit card or debit card and it’ll be instant

coylemj wrote: »

Which, based on the number of times it's quoted on boards, is a great sales pitch. But if you think that 'no commission' trumps a better exchange rate then you're setting yourself up to be ripped off.

What An Post do every day is to set their rate between AIB and BoI. I've tested this on umpteen occaasions and the post office is never the best for currency exchange, even with their 'no commission' BS. AIB or BoI is always best with the post office always in the middle. Did it yesterday for my sister who was buying sterling, AIB was best, then An Post, then BoI.

Look at AIB and BoI rates and pick the best on the day, don't bother going near a post office. Ever.
    So I went to both PO and AIB today
    PO..Bought 410GP for 489.79EU rate .8371
    AIB Bought 415GP at 494.34EU plus commission 4.94EU Costing me 499.28
    rate .8395
    So unless im mistaken the PO worked out better by around a fiver in the 500eu :)

rate .8395
    So unless im mistaken the PO worked out better by around a fiver in the 500eu :)

I'll wait for a mathematician to turn up on a quick glance that looks like AIB has the slightly better rate.

Someone please explain the maths :D

my3cents wrote: »
    rate .8395

I'll wait for a mathematician to turn up on a quick glance that looks like AIB has the slightly better rate.

Someone please explain the maths :D
    Indeed they have the better rate but then you have to pay the 4.94eu commission whereas in the PO theres 0 commission to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Revolut 410GBP=473 euro. Quite a saving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rate .8395

And you had the cheek to quote my post above that!

What I said was that An Post is never the best rate when compared to AIB and BoI. I also said that An Post pitches their daily rate between the two banks so it follows that on any given day, the post office always beats one of the banks. Based on your experience, yesterday that was AIB.

Was in Banbridge outlet today. Had euros in cash. Regatta top was 45 stg paid 49.99 euro. In Nike top was 45 pounds paid €54!!!

btw for anyone changing cash in the UK avoid the Post Office over there the rates when I checked last summer where the worst you could possibly get but a long long way.

coylemj wrote: »
    rate .8395

And you had the cheek to quote my post above that!

What I said was that An Post is never the best rate when compared to AIB and BoI. I also said that An Post pitches their daily rate between the two banks so it follows that on any given day, the post office always beats one of the banks. Based on your experience, yesterday that was AIB.
    So the PO worked out better for me than the AIB when the commission was taken into account wind in yer neck a small bit there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭green123

So what?

Are you one of the many people who are fooled by that?

Do you not understand that just because they have no commission that doesn't necessarily make them the cheapest?

Other places that charge commission are often better overall even when you add on their commission because they have a better rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭green123

So the PO worked out better for me than the AIB when the commission was taken into account wind in yer neck a small bit there

And if you could understand what he said bank of ireland would have been better for you.

He was trying to help, he pointed it out clearly but you still didn't seem to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Revolut

Advertisement