Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get this to flower

Options
  • 14-04-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Im pretty sure I have a hydrangea petiolaris growing in my back garden. coarse bark and heart shaped leaves. images too large to post How do i encourage this to flower.

last year i had to cut it back +++ as it was blocking light. i assume this affected its flowering ability last year. this year id love a bit of colour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you cut it back last year before it flowered, which would of course affect it flowering. Has it made new growth? If it is looking fresh and healthy it should produce flowers but after very drastic pruning, not as many as you might hope, it will catch up with itself over a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Wesser wrote: »
    Im pretty sure I have a hydrangea petiolaris growing in my back garden. coarse bark and heart shaped leaves. images too large to post How do i encourage this to flower.

last year i had to cut it back +++ as it was blocking light. i assume this affected its flowering ability last year. this year id love a bit of colour.

Only just planted one of these in my garden in November. It is still only about 50cm high but looks to be forming small flower heads already. Maybe cutting it back last year might have knocked back its flowering this year or you might have a different variety but I've always seen hydrangeas just going into flower on their own without interference. Did not prune the one I have starting to flower at all and it looked like it had not been pruned when I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP can we have a picture to be 100% sure is Hydranges petiolaris?

As above they flower easily on a north or east wall. All I can think is you have it in full sun and its too dry for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

They flower on last year's growth so certainly a hack back in the summer will affect its ability to do so this year..if it doesn't flower this year it certainly should do next if you leave it alone.
    They do require a hack back every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

ok thanks for all the help.
    it says my image is too large to post ie greater than 4 mb.
    i ll try again tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Wesser wrote: »
    ok thanks for all the help.
    it says my image is too large to post ie greater than 4 mb.
    i ll try again tomorrow

This often happens to me but if you screenshot it and upload the screenshot it should work :)

Advertisement