Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Career to What?

Options
  • 12-04-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I graduated 2 years ago, and went to work in industry. I hate it, for numerous reasons, there seriously is not 1 single aspect I enjoy and I cannot fathom how anyone has stayed working in industry. I want to take my career in a different direction, but I don't know what. I've already been to a career guidance appointment and I am still lost. My current job does not pay well (its an internship, I have 10 months left) and I'm hemorrhaging money (I don't even know how-if I take a holiday its maybe twice a year to Scotland for like 3 days, I do not buy designer, or even high street clothes-just cheap websites and pennys, I do not live a lifestyle much different from my student days, other than the drinking and having fun part-thats non-existant these days). I had savings and they're starting to deplete. I feel like I'm running out of time. I am getting older, the clock is ticking to start a career afresh. I've not had any sort of epiphany, and I know an epiphany will never come, I can't afford to take any days off of work (I don't know how it has happened and I think it may be a mistake by my employer, but my holidays are negative days) to go try work experience in different work places.

How do I come to a decision, is there anything, some tips, that helped you, the good people of boards, decide what you wanted to do as a career? Anything you wish you had done before deciding, or taken into consideration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly life is too short to do something that you abhor. It is rare to find a job or career that you truly love and the vast majority of people see it as a necessary evil to allow them to do things that they like. That family. Do hobby's that bring enjoyment or go travel.

So, figure out is it something you despise or do you have a fantasy that many will never achieve. It is easier to get a job when in a job so figure out is there aspects of your job you do enjoy and decide can you move into areas internally or externally that have those.

Or if it's a complete change of career, build up a financial cushion that allows you to retrain, take an apprenticeship or go somewhere and work your way up. If you can I always believe that when you aren't stressed you can make better decisions about your future. Go traveling and think about your future. Hope you get what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are your sure it is the whole industry and not just this role? You have not given it much of a chance if you are still an intern... what is the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I think nobody here could or should tell you what do do careerwise. But every person has interests or fields where they good at. And this often goes hand in hand because if you're good at something it's because it interests you.

So I think you really need to do some soul-searching, what are your interests, what do you like and what brings some fun to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

you need to figure out what you actually want to do.
    if its just the place you're in or the people your work with that is the isdue, then move.
    if its the actual job, then rethink what you actually want to do.

its never to late to change careers. lots of people realised that during and after the recession.

Advertisement