Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend aNice flowering evergreen climber?

Options
  • 12-04-2019 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice evergreen climber for external walls

Has anyone experience of a nice one?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ivy comes in a gazillion different varieties, but you'll have to keep it in check. Passiflora (passion flower) can be evergreen if the winters aren't abysmally cold, and you'd get lovely flowers, too, but it'll probably need something to cling to before it spreads. Jasmine, too, but it'll probably need shelter if it gets very cold.

Otherwise, here's some options I found with a quick internet search:
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers-plants-shrubs/plants/climbers/evergreen-climbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭macraignil

Only just planted my one the autumn just gone but the star jasmine(trachelospermum jasminoides) that is listed in New Home's link as well seems nice. I have yet to see the flowers but the leaves retained over winter have a nice bright red colour since autumn and make a good reason to plant it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I have an evergreen honeysuckle that keeps most of it's leaves- the trade off is that it doesn't have any scent unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Clematis armandii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Esho wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice evergreen climber for external walls

Has anyone experience of a nice one?

Star Jasmine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

macraignil wrote: »
    Only just planted my one the autumn just gone but the star jasmine(trachelospermum jasminoides) that is listed in New Home's link as well seems nice. I have yet to see the flowers but the leaves retained over winter have a nice bright red colour since autumn and make a good reason to plant it anyway.

I've put 6 of them down this year along one wall where I constructed my own wire trellis. Eager to see them all take hold.

Advertisement