Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got rid of mould in 1 room, 2 more to go - help?

Options
  • 11-04-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Living in an 1950s house with old brickwork.

Mould in 3 rooms - I put external vents in each room.

In 1 room, I also dug a trench in front of the external wall and cleared the gutters so the walls would not have extra water when it rains - it worked! The mould is gone.

In the sitting room, a new, raised patio was built that blocked the under-floor vent and also goes above any DPL that may be there. After that patio was built, the mould problem started on the other side of the external wall, worse than it used to be.

In a room with 2 external walls, damp was bad on two walls until I dug a trench in front of one wall, and filled it with gravel. That stopped the damp on that wall.
    But on the other, it is very bad, at the top corner of the room.

All these rooms have vents at the top.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this mould?

Much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Well obviously you need to fix the patio first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,785 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Remove the patio first

Them check the attic insulation in the top corner room. You either have an insulation gap which creates a cold spot for water vapour to condense on or you have a leak in the roof or gutter area.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks. Yes there is a cold spot that explains one of the rooms

Thank s folks much appreciated

Advertisement