Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer and attachments

Options
  • 11-04-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a strimmer and a hedge trimmer attachment. Any recommendations and roughly how much should I expect to be paying? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

mossie wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a strimmer and a hedge trimmer attachment. Any recommendations and roughly how much should I expect to be paying? thanks.

I've seen them in Aldi or Lidl or it could have been both for 160 euro.

They look good, they're a four or five in one I think so you get an extendable small chainsaw and strimmer blade too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

I've seen them in Aldi or Lidl or it could have been both for 160 euro.

They look good, they're a four or five in one I think so you get an extendable small chainsaw and strimmer blade too.

Thanks. I know someone who had one of those and was fine for a while but had a lot of trouble after a while. It would probably be ok for me as I don't have a lot of ground I can't reach with the lawnmower.

mossie wrote: »
    Thanks. I know someone who had one of those and was fine for a while but had a lot of trouble after a while. It would probably be ok for me as I don't have a lot of ground I can't reach with the lawnmower.

They come with a three year warranty which you probably won't get anywhere else.

The one thing that causes most of the trouble with these and any other petrol powered garden tool is leaving fuel in it when it's not going to be in use for a long time.

After you have used it for the last time of the season either run it until it's out of fuel or drain it before storing away and there should be no bother.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The really cheap ones can be brilliant they also can be a disaster.

I have one I bought in the UK for under £150, strimmer line, blade, hedge cutter and chainsaw attachments.

Broke my heart for the first year I had it. From cold it would normally start but not always from hot that was unless you messed with the carb. Stripped it no end of times adjusted and readjusted the carb but couldn't find the problem. This year I put a new carb on it (tenner off Amazon two styles of carb fit loads of similar small engines) and its now working perfectly.

I'm not the only one with this story so what I'm saying is that you take a bit of a chance with the really cheap and you need a bit of technical knowledge to get the best out of some of them. The more expensive ones should have far fewer problems.

This is identical to the one I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/BU-KO-Petrol-Functional-Garden-Including/dp/B06Y6F1PL9 .

Only down side to it (now its working great) and all its identical twins is that its not very ergonomic and you don't want to be using it for hours.

my3cents wrote: »
    The really cheap ones can be brilliant they also can be a disaster.

I have one I bought in the UK for under £150, strimmer line, blade, hedge cutter and chainsaw attachments.

Broke my heart for the first year I had it. From cold it would normally start but not always from hot that was unless you messed with the carb. Stripped it no end of times adjusted and readjusted the carb but couldn't find the problem. This year I put a new carb on it (tenner off Amazon two styles of carb fit loads of similar small engines) and its now working perfectly.

I'm not the only one with this story so what I'm saying is that you take a bit of a chance with the really cheap and you need a bit of technical knowledge to get the best out of some of them. The more expensive ones should have far fewer problems.

This is identical to the one I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/BU-KO-Petrol-Functional-Garden-Including/dp/B06Y6F1PL9 .

Only down side to it (now its working great) and all its identical twins is that its not very ergonomic and you don't want to be using it for hours.

I actually saw that one given quite a good review on a website, it does look quite heavy. I'm going to hold off for a while anyway as I won't be needing it for a few weeks, maybe Lidl / ALdi might have one in the meantime. Has any one experience of battery powered strimmers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought one of the Chinese mass produced multi-tools, with strimmer, hedge cutter, chainsaw etc.

Has served me well for couple of years now, but I do realise it is cheap as chips.
    You do get what you pay for.

If you want tools that are going to last you, you'll have to spend more, and I'd be inclined to buy a separate strimmer and a hedge cutter.

Would you consider buying second-hand? Plenty of bargains out there

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought one of the Chinese mass produced multi-tools, with strimmer, hedge cutter, chainsaw etc.

Has served me well for couple of years now, but I do realise it is cheap as chips.
    You do get what you pay for.

If you want tools that are going to last you, you'll have to spend more, and I'd be inclined to buy a separate strimmer and a hedge cutter.

Would you consider buying second-hand? Plenty of bargains out there

I would consider second hand. To be honest the only reason I'm looking at a multi tool is that I don't use them enough to justify two separate tools. I have a reasonably long hedge that I cut twice, maybe three times a season and a relative small area that I can't cut with the lawnmower that needs strimming maybe once a month or so.

Well you might get away with one of the multi-tools.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/grass-trimmers/52cc-petrol-5-in-1-garden-multi-tool-hedgetrimmer-strimmer-chainsaw-etc./1285123465

I bought one and getting decent service from it.

If its not getting worked too heavily, might suit you grand.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well you might get away with one of the multi-tools.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/grass-trimmers/52cc-petrol-5-in-1-garden-multi-tool-hedgetrimmer-strimmer-chainsaw-etc./1285123465

I bought one and getting decent service from it.

If its not getting worked too heavily, might suit you grand.

I bought one very similar to that (Timber Pro) about three years ago and it's done a lot of work with no issues.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said I don't need it right away so I'll think it over and decide later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Spent a grand last year on the 35cc Honda Versatool with the extension, hedge trimmer, strimmer and cultivator attachment.

I'll get the pruner (chainsaw) attachment when I get the money spare.

It's changed my life. Tons of power and starts like a new car.

Advertisement