Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cat with a mystery problem

Options
  • 11-04-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

We have an 12 year old male neutered cat who just isn't right, both we and the vet have no idea what's going on.

He's had bloodwork done, tested for FIV, thyroid test, had xrays, heart scanned, an ultrasound, he also had 2 days where he was put on fluids because he was dehydrated. He had been given a tranquilizer of some sort (I forget the name!) which didn't do a whole lot other than completely space him out for a few days, he has had anti biotics and steroids as well if I remember correctly. I probably have missed something else that he had done because he had a lot of things done to him over the space of a week that cost over E600+ to get done. But everything has come up negative.

Background, he's always been a confident cat, he would prowl and hunt, he would always behave confidently in everything he did, mad for affection and attention.
    When things started to go wrong... He went through a period of hair loss (excessive grooming) on his belly and on the inside of his front legs, it started to go up his sides as well, his belly became saggy and he didn't have that before, he's losing weight (you can feel his spine), he hangs his head, he slinks around when he walks half the time, he's peeing around the house occasionally, he's randomly vomiting as well. He's appetite seems unchanged, however, if anything sometimes he eats a lot rather than too little.

The excessive grooming appears to have gotten better, he was given a hormonal injection, he's still grooming enthusiastically, but he doesn't have the balding he did before.

We're kind of at a loss. I think he's depressed (Feliway did nothing for him). I don't know why he would be depressed, but the vets keep coming up with blanks about what's wrong with him, we have even had the vet say "I can see something is wrong with him" because of how he's behaving. The last time we brought him to the vet he just curled up in a ball and tucked his head into my arm so he couldn't see anything. He just seems so... miserable and unwell.

Any ideas you guys could throw my way?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Any changes at home that would be causing stress? Even something that might not be super obvious to us, like a different cat visiting and causing him stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any changes at home that would be causing stress? Even something that might not be super obvious to us, like a different cat visiting and causing him stress?

Have you / the vet excluded what he is eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sounds like a job for UCD not boards. If your vet doesn't keep up to date, could be something very rare or new he/she doesn't know about. So many symptoms and tests, and still no idea? Time to call the vets vet.

01-7166002

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has the vet checked kidney function? Such problems wouldn't be unusual at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Have you tried a cat specific vet? A practice who only deals with cats?

Does he go outside? Could it be he is being bullied by another cat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Has the vet checked kidney function? Such problems wouldn't be unusual at that age.
    I would have though that too, but if there was anything wrong in that department it would have stood out like a sore thumb in the blood results the OP says have been done. Tests for urea and creatinine levels are standard for cats, and it's these two that indicate kidney disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The only real changes we have had is we had the house redecorated, new kitchen/doors/windows, but we've also made the living area more cat-friendly (cat trees, scratching areas) as we have 4 cats in total.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Have you / the vet excluded what he is eating?

The vet did bring up diet, but his diet has been varied most of his life so in that sense there was no indication from the vet that anything we have been given could be the cause, there's been no "oh, you should try this food in particular" mentioned.
    Hoboo wrote: »
    Sounds like a job for UCD not boards. If your vet doesn't keep up to date, could be something very rare or new he/she doesn't know about. So many symptoms and tests, and still no idea? Time to call the vets vet.

01-7166002

That's an idea, I'll put it to the owner of the cat and see what they say, unfortunately I just live with him!

I remember one of the tests that was conducted was for "organ function" so I think so!
    ....... wrote: »
    Have you tried a cat specific vet? A practice who only deals with cats?

Does he go outside? Could it be he is being bullied by another cat?

No, we have only used our normal vets, both of the vets (well, I only use one of the two vets there that I like because they have always been quite enthusiastic in explaining things to me) there have seen him and have come up with nothing.

He does go outside, but he also lives with 3 other cats as well as 3 dogs, so I would have thought he's quite used to the hustle and bustle of other animals. He's always lived with other cats and dogs. But do keep in mind I'm not super well versed in cat behaviour, dogs are more my area of interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any chance he could've gotten into some hazardous chemicals? Antifreeze? At least he's eating, which is good, hasn't quite given up on life.

How old is the cat? Sometimes they just get old, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Our cat is 12 and went through the exact same a few months ago
    He was constantly crying , always hungry , couldn't settle down always anxious and unsettled . Randomly vomited and also peeing indoors. He also was scratching obsessively

Vet did bloods and kidney funtion was poor so he is on Renate powder on his food . He settled down on it and is less anxious and upset

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hoboo wrote: »

01-7166002

agree totally; and urgently needed. In forty years of cats ever seen this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Small update, he was brought to the vet on Friday and the vet did a thorough examination of his organs by feeling him, he found a pea sized lump on his stomach, he's going in for a biopsy in the morning. He said there is a chance it's a swollen lymph node, but he will only really be able to tell by opening him up. Temperature was slightly elevated as well. His heart rate was very fast, but vet said that he was going to overlook that right now because ever time he has been in his heart has been thumping like mad.

Also forgot to note from last time, they discovered his heart is slightly smaller than the average cat, but it didn't seem to be the reason for his issues.

We are kinda hoping that this tiny lump is a reason for his issues and odd behaviour, thinking it's probably going to be nothing however...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

How is he now? Any updates from the vets.

I know I'm late coming to this but when I read about the excessive grooming, my first thought was food allergy. Cats can develop allergies to food(s) they have previously been perfectly OK on for years. Flea allergy is another but I'd still favour the former. In fact, I'm surprised your vet hasn't put him on a hypoallergenic diet (or a food he's ever had before ie novel protein) to rule this out, in the first instance. I'm also wondering if he showed improvement with a steriod (as opposed to a hormone) injection? Of course, pain can also cause excessive grooming. So of course he's miserable until this is sorted out.

Personally, I would change his diet to the above and see how he responds. You'll need to get the food from the vet in the first instance, as these can be difficult to replicate elsewhere.

Advertisement