Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get cut in winter if its not Qualifying

Options
  • 11-04-2019 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

My mate has won the last 2 competitions at our club and came second in the last one. So thats back to back wins and a second all in a row. They cut him 1 point after each win a local winter rule. But he received a email from the club saying under section, such a such they have cut him to 15.1 he was 17. Now are comps have being 18 holes and still is placing everywhere and he did come second last weekend after his 2 wins. His offical gui handicap has changed to 15.1 too.

Look he's delighted as the aim of the game is to get down. But I was under the impression you couldn't get cut unless it was qualifying which its not.. This is a new club which we joined from a previous club so we had offical handicaps. On saying that are old club had a very high CSS hence why we moved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

You can get cut in winter via good play handicap review. A few guys in our place were cut, based on this. Clause 23 in rules I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yeah,clubs can cut you on general play during winter, only right as it keeps the so called bandits in check, the ones that somehow find their best games when non qualifying and Hoover up all the prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Afaik, it's normally just an internal cut though and the GUI handicap reverts when qualifying competition resumes. A non-qualifying competition has no standing in the GUI. They could (as said above) get a general play adjustment, but afaik, that can only be done once.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Here is the rule

https://www.handicapmaster.org/handicaps/Unified_Handicapping_System_Page3.php

Normal enough in our club for "older" lads to get shots back in the annual review as all they have done is .1 all year.

Out of curiosity is your mate a long time member or new to the club?

A few bandits out there swapping clubs every few years and cleaning up on the Open circuit with new h/c's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Ronney wrote: »
    Here is the rule

https://www.handicapmaster.org/handicaps/Unified_Handicapping_System_Page3.php

Normal enough in our club for "older" lads to get shots back in the annual review as all they have done is .1 all year.

Out of curiosity is your mate a long time member or new to the club?

A few bandits out there swapping clubs every few years and cleaning up on the Open circuit with new h/c's

Both of us are new to the club, Dont get me wrong he's delighted! I was just interested as If I had of know. I would take winter golf a bit more serious! ..lol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

benny79 wrote: »
    Both of us are new to the club, Dont get me wrong he's delighted! I was just interested as If I had of know. I would take winter golf a bit more serious! ..lol..

We had a number of guys get observation cuts at the end of the Winter League in my place. Guys who were averaging 38-39 points over 10-12 weeks. I know that the course is shortened & you have preferred lies (I played with a number of guys with higher handicaps than me who were hitting driver off the deck on holes because they could tee a ball up in the rough). Won't see them doing that anymore till October-November.

As far as I know most clubs will do a handicap review at year end, but adjustments can really be made at any point in the year at the discretion of the handicap secretary (open to correction on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

No suprise your new. I'd say that would keep you under the watchful eye of the HC sec.

Last thing a club would want would is someone new coming in on an artificially high Hc and winning all the big prizes!

(not suggesting this is the case here by the way)

Some clubs you are not allowed win the captains prize for example in your first year

Ronney wrote: »
    No suprise your new. I'd say that would keep you under the watchful eye of the HC sec.

Last thing a club would want would is someone new coming in on an artificially high Hc and winning all the big prizes!

(not suggesting this is the case here by the way)

Some clubs you are not allowed win the captains prize for example in your first year
    Why is the automatic response to somebody getting cut: Bandit!?

Despite the disclaimer. The stuff above about being new and under scrutiny gives the lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ronney wrote:

Switching clubs wouldn't get you a new handicap...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Switching clubs wouldn't get you a new handicap...

Is the assumption on there that they're letting their handicap lapse before rejoining a club and getting an inflated handicap based on just 3 cards?

• Advertisement

Is the assumption on there that they're letting their handicap lapse before rejoining a club and getting an inflated handicap based on just 3 cards?

They would/should also take previous handicap into account though

GreeBo wrote: »
    They would/should also take previous handicap into account though
    Sure, it should be the case, but again, the implication of the poster is that people are manipulating the system, so may not be passing on the full info when they move clubs, throw in 3 terrible cards, and get a handicap bump

Sure, it should be the case, but again, the implication of the poster is that people are manipulating the system, so may not be passing on the full info when they move clubs, throw in 3 terrible cards, and get a handicap bump
    As far as I know, club secretaries have access to handicap history for members going back years on GolfNet.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    As far as I know, club secretaries have access to handicap history for members going back years on GolfNet.

I guess only if someone tells you what club they are coming from...

well we hand to give signed hc certs from are old club that I was a member for 10 years and my mate 2 just to clear any confusion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Where those comps off the yellow tees?
    If so the club normally docked a point off the winners handicap for the winter comps. I don’t see the reason to officially take down his handicap.

Where those comps off the yellow tees?
    If so the club normally docked a point off the winners handicap for the winter comps. I don’t see the reason to officially take down his handicap.

Yea they were last one might of been white. Its a rule for general play. He did get dock a point but because he kept winning he got an official cut all above board.

Advertisement