Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food for older fussy dog

Options
  • 10-04-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a dog food for my 12 year old labrador. She has been on Burns for most of her life! Changing because she does not “love” it!!!
    Bought a 4kg bag of a new food today to try it called Go Native. She didn’t wolf into it but ate it quicker than burns!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Has her eating habits changed? Might it be worth a vet check considering she's 12?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

VonVix wrote: »
    Has her eating habits changed? Might it be worth a vet check considering she's 12?

No eating habits have not changed.
    My other dog who we had to PTS recently could only eat burns that’s why the 12 year old was on it for so long!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Millem wrote: »
    No eating habits have not changed.
    My other dog who we had to PTS recently could only eat burns that’s why the 12 year old was on it for so long!!!

Ahhh, I see! What's your budget for a 12kg-15kg bag? Anything you're looking for in a food? Ingredients to avoid?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Ahhh, I see! What's your budget for a 12kg-15kg bag? Anything you're looking for in a food? Ingredients to avoid?

No budget she weighs around 25kgish (less than 30k). I want to try and avoid beet pulp!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Millem wrote: »
    No budget she weighs around 25kgish (less than 30k). I want to try and avoid beet pulp!
    Aah yes the "fibre filler" is quite popular since it can be gotten so cheaply. You'll most likely find most foods have them in various amounts but by the looks of it Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine for example does not.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Aah yes the "fibre filler" is quite popular since it can be gotten so cheaply. You'll most likely find most foods have them in various amounts but by the looks of it Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine for example does not.

Thank you the one I got today doesn’t have it either!

I used to buy my burns from amazon monthly. I saw they have taste of the wild there and also “wellness core” grain free.

I think I would use 7kgish per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Every dog deserves a little change of food now and then!! :)
    Lucky you to have a 12 year old Lab that still enjoys her food - long may it continue. At age 12, you might consider that odd super treat for her - cook up a big pan of chicken thighs/brown rice/veggies/sweet potatos in water. Chop up, put in fridge, and dole it out every day til she wolfs it all up! Debone the thighs first, and you can give her the RAW bones as a treat, a couple a day! :)

Advertisement