Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Parking Apps/Text pay per use

Options
  • 10-04-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Is there any option used for irregular parking by text in Dublin. I've looked at two parkingtag and parkby text.
    Parking Tags looks like it was a viable service, but they insist on taking control over topup in automatically debiting your account whenever it reaches the minimum amount - i.e. it seems if you top up by €10, it will reach the minimum auto top up (€10) and automatically keep €10 as "spare" that will never be used. On top of this, they charge €0.50 per month, which means you get a regular charge for using the service even if you don't use it and a constant bill on your credit card!

Park by text have the same issue in constantly wanting to hold your money in their accounts to use the service.

Is there any service that works simply? like you sign up and from an app pay for parking when you need to park.

Even the balls of a luas card is easier in that you top it up, and knows that you've paid for dublin bikes without asking for the €2 each month that it costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm looking at this again, as I only just realised that ParkingTag hold €10 on account for ever, which is awful sneaky. There is no way to remove the credit card assigned to the account either. I've barely been using it since Covid, just for a couple of hospital appointments and my dentist trips.

As it happens, I'll probably be closing the credit card that is on the Parking Tag account soon, so I must just do that and let the credit run down to zero. I'll then use the 'pay now' option as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I wonder if you could use a “virtual” card from Revolut or a similar provider? They provide disposable card numbers that can be used once, or virtual cards that you can strictly control the balance on. You might still have to make the initial €10 top-up but at least it would avoid the auto top-up situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I just simply wouldn't trust the clampers with a pay by text parking myself.

I'd still use the good old fashioned pay machine and the printed ticket in the windscreen.

Or live in Cork where the stupid idiots still use Parking Discs. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I just simply wouldn't trust the clampers with a pay by text parking myself.

I'd still use the good old fashioned pay machine and the printed ticket in the windscreen.

Or live in Cork where the stupid idiots still use Parking Discs. Ugh.

Used the text system for years, and a decade ago at this stage. No issues.

nibtrix wrote: »
    I wonder if you could use a “virtual” card from Revolut or a similar provider? They provide disposable card numbers that can be used once, or virtual cards that you can strictly control the balance on. You might still have to make the initial €10 top-up but at least it would avoid the auto top-up situation.

Interesting idea, might try that.

Though the most likely scenario is that their sneaky practice will result in me just closing the account when I've let the balance run down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Interesting idea, might try that.

Though the most likely scenario is that their sneaky practice will result in me just closing the account when I've let the balance run down.

You could ring them, close your account and get your money refunded. Then use the website to park after that.

Also it’s hardly sneaky, you have to choose the top-up amount when you register.

markpb wrote: »
    You could ring them, close your account and get your money refunded. Then use the website to park after that.

Also it’s hardly sneaky, you have to choose the top-up amount when you register.

The problem isn't the top-up amount. It is the minimum balance of €10 for ever, which probably exceeds my year's total usage of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

The problem isn't the top-up amount. It is the minimum balance of €10 for ever, which probably exceeds my year's total usage of the app.
    For irregular users best is to use the parking machines. Parking Tag don't make business of you with such a low usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

If you're a 3 or Vodafone customer you can pay by text message. There's a €0.20 admin fee but it's still much better than having to keep a €10 minimum balance. You can pay on the website without an account also. https://www.parkingtag.ie/

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    For irregular users best is to use the parking machines. Parking Tag don't make business of you with such a low usage.

The main reason for using the app was because I never carried coin. Do the machines all take contactless cards these days?

• Advertisement
Advertisement