Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooking trees issue

Options
  • 10-04-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,
    Just looking for a little advice. I live in a large housing estate with a small garden. The neighbour's directly behind me have planted palm trees (evergreens) which are now about 2 meters above my back fence and which are blocking any sunlight coming into my garden. I've called around but they are not there or don't answer the door. I don't know them at all. I'm not sure if they are the owners or are renting. Have I any rights or if anybody has a suggestion as to what I can do next, I'd be very grateful. I
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You have no right to light, so there's not much you can do.

Surely they can't be blocking any sunlight coming in to your garden if they're only 4m tall and outside your property boundary. 4m isn't really very tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

You are probably aware but, you can cut whatever overhangs the boundary line/fence/wall. You are supposed to offer them back to the owner as it is their property but think its safe to say they will look at you like you have 2 heads if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psawyer

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for the delay in getting back. Theres a lot of branches hanging over the garden so at least I can trim that part back. Once again, thanks

Advertisement