Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan Transport - Hogging White Line

Options
  • 10-04-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭

Are those Nolan Transport drivers directed to drive at 70 km/h and hog the white line in the centre of the road or something? They are constantly on the Rosslare to New Ross road with about 1 mile of traffic built up behind but seem to steadfastly refuse to pull in to let traffic by.

I dont have any issue with them doing 70 but I can't understand why they hold up the traffic. I've seen a few idiots try to overtake a massive number of cars and the truck in one go as a result of frustration. They will cause an accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Azatadine wrote: »
    Are those Nolan Transport drivers directed to drive at 70 km/h and hog the white line or something? They are constantly on the Rosslare to New Ross road with about 1 mile of traffic built up behind but seem to steadfastly refuse to pull in to let traffic by.

I dont have any issue with them doing 70 but I can't understand why they hold up the traffic. I've seen a few idiots try to overtake a massive number of cars and the truck in one go as a result of frustration. They will cause an accident.

Max a truck driver can do is 80km. They’re not under any obligation to pull over to let traffic by, those that do so do entirely at their own discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Nolan Transport - why would you expect anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Max a truck driver can do is 80km. They’re not under any obligation to pull over to let traffic by, those that do so do entirely at their own discretion.

I understand all that and have no issue with the speed. What I dont understand is why they hog the white line even though there are dozens of cars behind them. I've seen some plonkers take huge risks to get by them. If they pulled in a little towards the hard shoulder every now and again it would make a big difference.

Incidentally, some of them do but others dont. There seems to be one of them like clockwork owned by them on the Wexford to New Ross road every evening that sticks to that white line the whole way from the Wexford roundabout to New Ross with huge queues of traffic behind him (or them as the case may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

When you say 'hog the white line', do you mean the central road markings?. If they are staying in lane, I don't see an issue. To move in to the hard shoulder and continue driving is an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

When you say 'hog the white line', do you mean the central road markings?. If they are staying in lane, I don't see an issue. To move in to the hard shoulder and continue driving is an offence

That restriction is only on motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

@ EggsfrorDinner: This uneducated nonsense is irresponsible at best!

You really need tho learn the rules of the road. Safely pulling in a little to allow traffic that can legally travel at 100kph, is just good road sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My understanding of the rules are that you should drive as left as possible in the lane, not drive along the central lines

Most lorry drivers will make way for traffic to pass but not those guys. I've seen massive tailbacks behind them and they will not pull an inch to the left to let cars by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I find most Nolan drivers I come up to are most obliging to following traffic, there's the odd bar steward but most move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find Nolans very very unlikely to pull into the hard shoulder and allow traffic pass. I thought it must have been a company policy or something.

• Advertisement

Same here. Must be a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

As a former truck driver I find it difficult to believe that any company would have a deliberate policy of holding up following traffic. What would there to be to gain ?
    Truck drivers, in my experience, are among the most courteous of road users and will usually allow plenty of room to others but sometimes road conditions can dictate what their actions will be. For instance if there are potholes on the hard shoulder, side roads close by, bends, overhanging trees, steep camber or shrubbery that can damage the truck etc. A vehicle weighing almost 50 tonnes and travelling at 80kph is not easy to stop or manoeuvre if it hits an obstacle and begins to fishtail and the first duty of the driver is the safety of himself, his load and others in the vicinity.
    Maybe this company has had one or two bad experiences and instructs its drivers to maintain the carriageway at all times, with insurance costs going through the roof, that's understandable.
    You'll rarely find buses pulling onto the hard shoulder and I'd imagine it's for those very reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Marhay70 wrote: »
    As a former truck driver I find it difficult to believe that any company would have a deliberate policy of holding up following traffic. What would there to be to gain ?
    Truck drivers, in my experience, are among the most courteous of road users and will usually allow plenty of room to others but sometimes road conditions can dictate what their actions will be. For instance if there are potholes on the hard shoulder, side roads close by, bends, overhanging trees, steep camber or shrubbery that can damage the truck etc. A vehicle weighing almost 50 tonnes and travelling at 80kph is not easy to stop or manoeuvre if it hits an obstacle and begins to fishtail and the first duty of the driver is the safety of himself, his load and others in the vicinity.
    Maybe this company has had one or two bad experiences and instructs its drivers to maintain the carriageway at all times, with insurance costs going through the roof, that's understandable.
    You'll rarely find buses pulling onto the hard shoulder and I'd imagine it's for those very reasons.

Totally agree with you. There is also an increasing number of people using the hard shoulder for running and cycling not to mention vehicle breakdowns, people stopping to use their mobiles, toilet breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

paulaa wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. There is also an increasing number of people using the hard shoulder for running and cycling not to mention vehicle breakdowns, people stopping to use their mobiles, toilet breaks etc.
    and whats wrong with that , apart from using it as a toilet , it's perfectly legal to do the rest in the hard shoulder except on motorways .
    where would you want people to run , cycle , stop while broken down or make a phone call ? ... out in the middle of the road

and whats wrong with that , apart from using it as a toilet , it's perfectly legal to do the rest in the hard shoulder except on motorways .
    where would you want people to run , cycle , stop while broken down or make a phone call ? ... out in the middle of the road

I think the poster meant that truck drivers may think twice about pulling into the hard shoulder in case there are people already in there doing any of the above things, I don’t think s/he meant that they shouldn’t be doing them :)

For instance I’ve seen some truck drivers pull into the hard shoulder for cars to pass shortly before they come to a bend in the road. They don’t have a clear view ahead and have no idea that there is t someone changing a tyre in the hard shoulder just around the corner. Not so easy to stop 35 tonnes even at a slower speed.

I think the poster meant that truck drivers may think twice about pulling into the hard shoulder in case there are people already in there doing any of the above things, I don’t think s/he meant that they shouldn’t be doing them :)

For instance I’ve seen some truck drivers pull into the hard shoulder for cars to pass shortly before they come to a bend in the road. They don’t have a clear view ahead and have no idea that there is t someone changing a tyre in the hard shoulder just around the corner. Not so easy to stop 35 tonnes even at a slower speed.
    maybe that's what was meant but their are loads of long straight sections on main road where there is no excuse not to pull in .

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, just don't expect drivers to pull in to let you pass. They are doing their job

It's not about them pulling in. It's about them not actively hogging the white line in the centre of the road!

It's not about them pulling in. It's about them not actively hogging the white line in the centre of the road!

They are not breaking any laws are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's about them not actively hogging the white line in the centre of the road!

You keep saying this but what do you mean? You make it sound like they are straddling the white line or something? How are you supposed to hog the white line?

If they are in their lane and moving forward at the HGV's top speed then they are doing nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    They are not breaking any laws are they ?

thats part of the problem on the roads . the lines between whats legal / illegal and whats good manners on the roads can be a bit blurred

To not hog the white line would mean to pull over. They’re not obliged to do so, would you like your whole working day to comprise of pulling in and out of the hard shoulder to appease pushy, in a hurry nowhere motorists who nine times out of ten won’t even acknowledge your doing so with a flash of their lights? I wouldn’t anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Are those Nolan Transport drivers directed to drive at 70 km/h and hog the white line in the centre of the road or something? They are constantly on the Rosslare to New Ross road with about 1 mile of traffic built up behind but seem to steadfastly refuse to pull in to let traffic by.

That’s gas that you say that. I’ve noticed the exact same with them as well.

I used to drive the N25 Waterford to Cork a lot and I find that drivers on that road are far far more likely to pull in to the left and let traffic pass than on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A lot of Nolan driver's are pig ignorant Eastern Europeans who don't care about anyone else! I often travel that route by Truck and if I see a good clear road I will shove in to let people pass it's bad manners and bad driving to be hogging the white line.

Yes, I agree that most truckers do that. I travel around 80 miles per day for work and absolutely agree. Most truckers are very courteous and facilitate traffic. Seems to be Nolans that are the exception!

Truckermal wrote: »
    A lot of Nolan driver's are pig ignorant Eastern Europeans who don't care about anyone else! I often travel that route by Truck and if I see a good clear road I will shove in to let people pass it's bad manners and bad driving to be hogging the white line.
    used nolan transport for years and to be fair he had his fair share of pig ignorant irish as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

used nolan transport for years and to be fair he had his fair share of pig ignorant irish as well

Indeed he did actually I often came across a few of them,I suppose a company of that size will have a few Aholes no matter what part of the world they are from..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

From the "Rules of the Road"
    Your position on the road
    Make sure you drive your vehicle far enough to the left to allow traffic to safely
    pass or overtake on the right, but not so far to the left that you are driving on a
    cycle lane or blocking or endangering cyclists or pedestrians.
    Avoid driving too slowly
    In normal road and traffic conditions, keep up with the pace of the traffic
    flow while obeying the speed limit. While you must keep a safe distance
    away from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your
    vehicle unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk
    frustrating other drivers, which could lead to dangerous overtaking. However,
    remember: you must not drive at a speed at which you cannot stop the vehicle
    within the distance you can see to be clear ahead.

And while the rules of the road may not be a statutory instrument, it would be considered good practice and as such should be followed unless you have very good reasons not to.

Advertisement