Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshening up beds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fiacha

The pronged cultivators are great at breaking up heavy soil etc but they will pull out any roots they come in contact with.

If you just need to clear weeds and break up the surface before planting, you could use a push / pull weeder. You can easily control the depth it works at so there is less risk to any shallow roots / bulbs. I use the Wolf Garden one in a couple of sizes and find it great.

After that, I'd add a good layer of compost followed by a light raking to level it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Cheers.

Following on from that, how careful do you have to be when planting bulbs or perennials in the vicinity of existing trees and shrubs?

I started my garden from scratch, and concentrated on shrubs and trees initially. Now I would like to introduce some smaller, seasonal, colourful plants. Obviously I am not going to go chopping indiscriminately into the soil with a spade, but if careful is it ok to dig into an area where there are existing roots. Inevitably some roots are going to get damaged, but can a well established tree or shrub handle that?

Advertisement