Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating house alarm - advice

Options
  • 09-04-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

I’m looking for advice for updating an alarm system in my house, and to be honest, I don’t know very much about them. I’ve had a read of the other posts re: suppliers etc. but looking for a little bit more specific advice if possible.

I currently have a wired alarm in place but to be honest, I don’t think it’s the greatest alarm. I’m open to both monitored and self monitored systems. I have a semi detached house, with 2 downstairs external doors, a patio door and a number of small windows. If you were looking for quotes for getting an alarm system installed, what sort of things would you be asking for/looking out for?

In theory, I like the monitored alarm setup, but I’ve read all the info re: phonewatch etc and if I’m going to commit to that, I’d like to know that I’m doing it right. I’m Dublin based, so if you’ve had any positive experiences with a company, please send me a PM also.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Shop around and get a few quotes.
    The general rule is whats cheap up front will cost you more in the long run. If someone is giving you an alarm for a few hundred euros you are going to be tied into monitoring/maintenance commitments.Possibly for quite a few years.
    There are plenty of options out there for monitoring/self monitoring where you are not committed to any long contracts or ongoing payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭shane b

is the alarm causing you any problems at present or why do you feel its inadequate? maybe just get a survey done.
    We have a wired alarm in our dormer bungalow that was problematic, alarm going off when not even set battery not charging. We also didnt have the engineering code for the alarm and the monitoring company wouldn't give it to us, which meant no other alarm company could work on it. Turns out we had a number of faulty sensors and the company installed a new HKC panel and keypad and gave us the engineering code. We went from an alarm we never use to one we always use. new panel and keypad cost about 350 euro at the time.
    There was an option to get it monitored as well but we didn't bother with this option at that time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Of course get a survey first before making any decisions.
    A monitoring company would not have an installations engineer to give out anyway.
    Not having an engineer code does not prevent any other company working on any systems. Good installers would be able to reset the system easily.
    Don't get sold something new just based on that.

Advertisement