Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Advice Needed

Options
  • 08-04-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a dog at some stage but I'm not 100% certain if I should or not.

I live in a house that has gravel and concrete out the back. OK for room but no grass and no room for a proper dog run. I work 9 - 5:30 Monday to Friday and go home for lunch for an hour.

I would love to get a Siberian Husky even though I know they're a lot of work but my question is, given that the dog would be on its own for so long, should I hold off?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a dog at some stage but I'm not 100% certain if I should or not.

I live in a house that has gravel and concrete out the back. OK for room but no grass and no room for a proper dog run. I work 9 - 5:30 Monday to Friday and go home for lunch for an hour.

I would love to get a Siberian Husky even though I know they're a lot of work but my question is, given that the dog would be on its own for so long, should I hold off?

Thanks!

The lack of grass isn’t an issue as long as a dog is getting out for daily walks outside the garden.. OP I think you may know the answer yourself .. unless your prepared to pay for a dog walker / doggie day care .. a full day all alone 5 days a weeks is pretty much hell for a dog (unless much older one who likes to sleep all day)... huskys while amazing dogs are not for the faint hearted and require a lot of work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Forget it, if your not home all day that's the last thing you need,my neighbours did this with that type of dog, as soon as they left the house it howled all day, i have 2 dogs and i love dogs but if i could have got a gun i would have shot it no problem, they kept it for about 6 months and thank god it's now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks for the replies folks. I would have no problem walking the dog before work and maybe again at lunch but certainly in the evenings. With that said, I've never had a dog before and from what I've read online, a Siberian Husky isn't a good dog for first time owner.

I think I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Thanks for the replies folks. I would have no problem walking the dog before work and maybe again at lunch but certainly in the evenings. With that said, I've never had a dog before and from what I've read online, a Siberian Husky isn't a good dog for first time owner.

I think I'll give it a miss.

You know though, an older settled dog who has not much chance of being adopted would probably be delighted with a home. I presume the dog will sleep indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you really will walk or run the dog before and after work, and you're home for lunch each day then there's no reason why you couldn't give a dog, even a Siberian, a great home.

I really wouldn't recommend a puppy though. Sibes generally do better with at least one other dog but there are plenty of single dogs living happily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement