Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda Strimmer Not Running

Options
  • 08-04-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a Honda strimmer with a gx25 engine. It starts but as soon as I increase revs it cuts out.
    I assume something has gummed up over winter. I sprayed in some carb cleanup and it did help but it still cuts out.
    There are 2 odd things I am seeing
    1 the air filter is a bit wet, I assume it is petrol
    2 when priming the engine it looks like there are small air bubbles in the fuel line.

I assume air is being drawn in somewhere. Amazon have replacement carbs for very small money, it looks like an easier solution than a full carb rebuild.

Is it worth cleaning the carbs again with cleaner or is the wet air filter and air bubbles confirming it is a leak somewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There are plenty of videos on YouTube.

Stripping, cleaning and rebuild the carb is simple and if your careful the gaskets are fine to reuse, I’ve done it often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Airfilters usually have oil on them to trap dust, your fuel lines are probably bad and need renewing if they are leaking air instead of holding a vacuum.
    You can be sure the cheap carbs available on amazon are not the same quality as the one fitted to your strimmer first day.
    Rebuild the carb and before you store it next year buy a drum of Alkylate petrol, (Aspen is one brand name) run the tank dry and fill it with the Alkylate petrol and run it though the machine.
    Top it off and it will be fine for the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Thanks all.
    I took off the carbs and fuel lines. All looked fine. It looks like there was far too much oil in it. I took some out and it is still the same.
    It is possible some of the gadgets in the carb need replacing. But the looked perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take it to a shop that services strimmers , they will know what they are looking at and can perform a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Take it to a shop that services strimmers , they will know what they are looking at and can perform a repair.

It’s going in tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Yes, it's best left to the professionals. The time you would take to do it, while learning on the job, would be better spent elsewhere.
    To prevent this situation occuring again, when you hve finished with the machine at the end of the season, run the carbuerettor dry, by turning off the petrol tap. This way there will be no fuel in the carb to evaporate and turn into gum.

Advertisement