Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Driving Range in Dublin

Options
  • 08-04-2019 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Is there a general view on the best driving range in the Dublin area?

I ususally go to Spawell, it's basic but fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I like the Halfpenny range by the airport as you can hit off the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

All pretty much the same really and I don't think the price varies all that much.

Jacobs has the automatic ball dispensers which are cool, but don't always work perfect so you will have to bend down from time to time. they also have some outdoor bays, (well they used to anyway)

elm green has some outdoor bays, but they are mats. most people just tee up in front of them! they now also have robots to collect the balls so no longer have a fella in a tractor to aim at!

not been to Spawell in donkeys so no idea what that's like, but recently done up and now has Toptracer so that will be an added novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

The range in kinsealy is pretty good. Always plenty of bays and the balls are bashed in pretty decent condition most of the time. With the mcguirks there, they have plenty of demo clubs if you're ever wanting to try something out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Airport driving range, has the added benefit of putting green and short game area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

The Ward Golf Centre, about 6km up the old North road heading to Ashbourne from Finglas. A lot of bays and some with machines in them. It has one of those big huge circle Swing Plane trainers if you fancy using it. Outdoor bay too if you want to play off the turf. Also a chipping and bunker practice area too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If you use Spawell mostly I'm assuming the southside is more convenient for you. The two I'd suggest are Leapardstown and Stepaside - with a preference for Leapardstown.

I'd prefer either to Spawell but I've not been there since the re-vamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

First Up wrote: »
    If you use Spawell mostly I'm assuming the southside is more convenient for you. The two I'd suggest are Leapardstown and Stepaside - with a preference for Leapardstown.

I'd prefer either to Spawell but I've not been there since the re-vamp.

I have and wasn't that impressed to be honest.. New mats but there not great ones and a mirror behind each bay. I find the side on mirrors more useful. Still though its better then it was and always busy. I had to wait for a bay.. but its way overpriced..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

benny79 wrote: »
    Still though its better then it was and always busy. I had to wait for a bay.. but its way overpriced..

Business 101 there!

How many bays are there 50? There's also outside bays. Definitely isn't overpriced if it's constantly full.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Supply and demand ...Suppose and theres not many near for me anyway plus its one of the longest around..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

For anyone in the deep south..... of Dublin ……. I like Stepaside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Drynam Barry Power near Swords is very good , automated tees , cheap spuds and nice feeling when you whack drives and hit the net at the back.

Halpenny Airport has the best short game area and also has some automated tees , Kinsealy Grange has McGuirk's and nice cafe but can suffer from a shortage of rubber tees when busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

mike12 wrote: »
    Airport driving range, has the added benefit of putting green and short game area.

Great value. For 10.50, you can get a bucket of 120 balls and a coffee. Indoor bays with good mats and auto tees. About 10 outdoor grass bays, putting and chipping areas.
    They (Halpennys) have a loyalty card too and you get free bucket every 5 or you get some free range credit when you buy stuff in their shop.
    Often spend an hour or 2 there on a Saturday.

Advertisement