Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden screening/privacy

Options
  • 07-04-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, would anyone have any suggestions on how we might get some privacy in out 3 bed semi garden. We are overlooked from the back and on one side. We are looking for something immediate. Unfortunately at back we have shed and trampoline so can’t plant shrubs/plants at back. Was thinking of mature tree in front of shed, see pic below. Anyone with ideas or websites we could look at? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭macraignil

Here is a link to the price list of a nursery close to where I live. There are a lot of trees that would in time get too big for where you are talking of planting so be careful with what you go for. It is right at the end of planting season for bare root trees which are the more affordable choice so if you do not plant one now you may have to wait until autumn for them to be available again. Mature trees are very expensive so the list I provided a like to would have the largest trees I know that are still some way affordable. If you want to go for a deciduous tree I would go with rowan(sorbus aucuparia) or whitebeam in the place in the photos and if you would prefer something evergreen maybe holly would be the way to go. If you type the tree name into your search engine and look at the images you could get a better idea of what you might like and if you type in the tree name with RHS, the RHS information page on that plant will usually give some useful information and the full grown size to expect it to grow to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You are overlooked by houses to the sides of you from the bedroom, what did you expect when moving in?
    I would imagine any neighbours will have objections to trees being planted on the borders

• Registered Users Posts: 67,298 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Short of a roof, you are not going to be 100% successful.
    However, what you need to do is disrupt the view. Think about strategic placement of trellis or garden sails. We sorted our issues with trellis...you know there are people there, but all you get are fragments.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some good pics here.

https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/trees-for-screening.html

Avoid eucalyptus and cypress, they're too big/dense.

Consider large shrubs, e.g laurel, photinia and eleagnus, that can be pruned into tree form but won't grow to 10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭crustybread

Lumen wrote: »
    Some good pics here.

https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/trees-for-screening.html

Avoid eucalyptus and cypress, they're too big/dense.

Consider large shrubs, e.g laurel, photinia and eleagnus, that can be pruned into tree form but won't grow to 10m.

Thanks, we do actually have red robin to one side of the garden which give great coverage but due to the patio and the fact we need a place to house bins (not much of side entrance), we would not go full length of the garden. I think a tree will sort the back end of the garden and maybe trellising or some sort of potted shrubs could be the answer to the side. Will keep looking. :)

• Advertisement

Short of a roof, you are not going to be 100% successful.
    However, what you need to do is disrupt the view. Think about strategic placement of trellis or garden sails. We sorted our issues with trellis...you know there are people there, but all you get are fragments.

Thanks, This was our initial thought, Just havent really seen anything we like or would fit the position we are trying to fill. Was hoping there may be someone offering the service rather than usual garden centre offerings.

fritzelly wrote: »
    You are overlooked by houses to the sides of you from the bedroom, what did you expect when moving in?
    I would imagine any neighbours will have objections to trees being planted on the borders

You are missing the point. We knew where we were buying of course. We just did not use the garden much originally and now we are putting some money into it would like to be able to enjoy it in some privacy. Obviously there is only so much you can in a housing estate but hence the post to see if anyone had any clever ideas which we could maybe use. Thanks for the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭standardg60

There looks to be enough space between the shed and trampoline to plant one mature tree.
    I would suggest something like Acer 'drummondii' as it doesn't get too big yet will give plenty of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Worth considering the orientation of your garden (path of the sun during the day etc.) before committing to particular screening. If you're lucky you could increase your privacy without much increase in shade in the garden.

I'd move the trampoline to suit what worked best for planting, and maybe even the shed too.

Worth considering the orientation of your garden (path of the sun during the day etc.) before committing to particular screening. If you're lucky you could increase your privacy without much increase in shade in the garden.

I'd move the trampoline to suit what worked best for planting, and maybe even the shed too.

Yes we have considered both these. The patio takes up fair bit of garden. The garden is not that big so moving the shed or trampoline could make the garden even smaller. I do like the grass so do not want to destroy it either. Think a smallish tree 4-6m in front of shed is going to be the solution. We will live with the side although may look at placement of planters to solve this and hide the unsightly bins. Thanks for your comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

By the looks of it, you will have to go up another 4-6ft to prevent your neighbours being able to stare down at you while in the back garden.

I'd say if you do go up another 6ft for example, then you are potentially blocking out a lot of your own light; or alternatively you are blocking out a lot of their light which would almost inevitably cause a bit of tension.

If you plant trees - either you are planting trees that will fill out very quickly and become difficult and expensive to manage - am thinking Leylandii here, or you will be planting trees that will not give full coverage for several years, such as Privet.

Amnt a gardener, but I think this is fair.

Alternatively, you can put up a really high fence. We put up a parralel cedar fence with small gaps between each horizontal post; and its a really super feature in the garden; but its expensive.

Think a smallish tree 4-6m in front of shed is going to be the solution
    There are few trees that will get to 4-6m and then not grow any higher.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    By the looks of it, you will have to go up another 4-6ft to prevent your neighbours being able to stare down at you while in the back garden.

I'd say if you do go up another 6ft for example, then you are potentially blocking out a lot of your own light; or alternatively you are blocking out a lot of their light which would almost inevitably cause a bit of tension.

If you plant trees - either you are planting trees that will fill out very quickly and become difficult and expensive to manage - am thinking Leylandii here, or you will be planting trees that will not give full coverage for several years, such as Privet.

Amnt a gardener, but I think this is fair.

Alternatively, you can put up a really high fence. We put up a parralel cedar fence with small gaps between each horizontal post; and its a really super feature in the garden; but its expensive.

Hi Tombo, we were thinking of a fence originally. Any chance you could post a picture of what you did? did you do this yourself or did you get someone to supply and fit for you? We will be replacing shed so there will be access to do this. Just worried it may look a little weird putting a big fence at back of garden but suppose if painted to blend in could be okay? Thanks

There are few trees that will get to 4-6m and then not grow any higher.

This was is our primary worry. Trees may be too big for the garden. Was hoping someone could suggest a "magical" tree that will only grow to desired hieght and width but this is probably pie in the sky. I think its a catch 22, we need a tree which will provide us with enough coverage but not take over the garden. Thanks for your input

Hi Tombo, we were thinking of a fence originally.

FYI you cannot legally put a fence up over 2m tall without planning permission, so this won't help overlooking from first floor windows.

This was is our primary worry. Trees may be too big for the garden. Was hoping someone could suggest a "magical" tree that will only grow to desired hieght and width but this is probably pie in the sky. I think its a catch 22, we need a tree which will provide us with enough coverage but not take over the garden. Thanks for your input

The magical trees that don't grow to tree height are called shrubs :D

Here (in the middle) is an example of a mature laurel which is quite high (maybe 8m) but is not too bulky.

These are maybe 30 years old but would have grown strongly in the first few years as bushy shrubs and then been pruned into trees.

Apologies for the crappy pics, my phone camera is screwed.

20190409-113500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

When picking your screening please consider sunlight, and not just the sunlight in your own garden.
    With high shrubs or trees come long shadows.

Here (in the middle) is an example of a mature laurel which is quite high (maybe 8m) but is not too bulky.

These are maybe 30 years old but would have grown strongly in the first few years as bushy shrubs and then been pruned into trees.

Apologies for the crappy pics, my phone camera is screwed.

20190409-113500.jpg

Thanks that gives me an idea of shape and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

How about a long, narrow planter with bamboo in it? You could bury the planter/bed if you are sure you want it there permanently. Or put it on terracotta 'feet' so you can move it around.
    Bamboo grows fast and makes a lovely rustling noise in the breeze. It actually grows too well so that's why I'm saying to keep it contained in a planter or with a hidden planter such as plastic sheeting or old tubs.

• Advertisement

worker bee wrote: »
    How about a long, narrow planter with bamboo in it? You could bury the planter/bed if you are sure you want it there permanently. Or put it on terracotta 'feet' so you can move it around.
    Bamboo grows fast and makes a lovely rustling noise in the breeze. It actually grows too well so that's why I'm saying to keep it contained in a planter or with a hidden planter such as plastic sheeting or old tubs.

Yes I did think of this. Would they not die in the planter? If you look at the picture, the garden behind (we are trying to screen from) actually have bamboo already in place. These were actually about a metre higher and the neighbour decided to prune them back to the size they are now. We were fine with the original size. Unfortunately its a rental property and original owner is no longer contactable hence we are trying to screen from our side. The shed and trampoline would have to be moved to place a planter which is another problem. We will be replacing shed in coming week so may look to bring that back into the garden to leave room for raised bed behind where we could plant some shrubs or bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

If it's a buried 'planter' you can take the end off it so it stops the runners coming out but the bamboo still has access to soil water and nutrients.

A fully enclosed planter - basically a really big oblong flowerpot would need to be minded a bit. ie you'd have to water it every so often and maybe even give it a little bit of feed.

I can't think of other stuff that would work - unless you put up a trellis on the back wall and then grew stuff through the trellis. Some such as clematis die back but the withered stems are attractive enough in a shabby chic sort of way.

Any tree tall enough will have roots that could cause damage I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

What about trees or hedging that will block smoke from a neighbour's ground floor chimney? Cypress a good choice?

There are non running (clumping) bamboo varieties.

Advertisement