Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Turnpikes Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Turnpikes? Highway? :P

What's the disused section East of the Dunkettle roundabout? Is it the actual road you're on in the Maps link?

(Not familiar with the area)

EDIT: Sorry, I see it there now, running alongside the choo-choo tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

No, just north of the railway bridge you can see it behind the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wasnt the road through kerry pike village, an old toll road? It's largely straight from shandon Street,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is why go cross country! Pesky tolls!

Highway-Man.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I guess thered a small example at east end of athlone bypass near kilmartins. Abandoned since 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yes, turnpikes are another (old) word for Toll roads. For example, part of Ennis town is called Turnpike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are relatively few lengthy sections of permanently bypassed roads, and none of them were turnpikes in either the old or modern sense. The Pennsylvanian road was one - it means toll road, not abandoned road.

I live 5 mins from Dunkettle and I didnt know that was there. Lot af building going on at the moment with the new Dunkettle layout, so it might not be there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Deagol wrote: »
    Yes, turnpikes are another (old) word for Toll roads. For example, part of Ennis town is called Turnpike.

Never knew that... however, very few, if any, people refer to roads in Ireland as 'turnpikes' or 'highways' in the sense that they are used in other countries. Much in the same way if you started up a conversation in the USA and started talking about 'dual carriage ways' or 'roundabouts' you'd get the same reaction.
    Why bastardise our use if language (in this country), when it's much simpler to use words we are familiar with.

• Advertisement

swarlb wrote: »
    Never knew that... however, very few, if any, people refer to roads in Ireland as 'turnpikes' or 'highways' in the sense that they are used in other countries. Much in the same way if you started up a conversation in the USA and started talking about 'dual carriage ways' or 'roundabouts' you'd get the same reaction.
    Why bastardise our use if language (in this country), when it's much simpler to use words we are familiar with.

So according to your theory we should rename Highwayman, dualcarriageway men? And Turnpike in Ennis should be renamed to what would you propose to avoid you having to learn something new / historical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

So according to your theory we should rename Highwayman, dualcarriageway men? And Turnpike in Ennis should be renamed to what would you propose to avoid you having to learn something new / historical?

Did I say I had a theory ?? The title of the thread is 'Abandoned Turnpikes Ireland'.
    I simply mean we should use the words and phrases associated with this particular country. We may have a Turnpike in Ennis, there is also a Turnpike road in Dublin. However we do not generally refer to roads in Ireland as 'turnpikes' or 'highways', in the same way that we don't generally use the term 'trunk' or 'hood' to describe parts on a car.
    I think you know quite well what I mean, so lets not labour the subject (or should that be 'labor' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Those words existed in old English but aren’t used now in British or Irish English but are in US English. It makes sense to use the non US version here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Here's one for you, what formed part of M1 before it was fully finished. I've been meaning to get the drone up sometime to take a better look, but you can see how the old N1 flowed onto the new M1 at the time.

477259.jpg

swarlb wrote: »
    Did I say I had a theory ?? The title of the thread is 'Abandoned Turnpikes Ireland'.
    I simply mean we should use the words and phrases associated with this particular country. We may have a Turnpike in Ennis, there is also a Turnpike road in Dublin. However we do not generally refer to roads in Ireland as 'turnpikes' or 'highways', in the same way that we don't generally use the term 'trunk' or 'hood' to describe parts on a car.
    I think you know quite well what I mean, so lets not labour the subject (or should that be 'labor' ?

Looking through your other posts I realise now I'm in danger of doing what Mark Twain warned against.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm a bit confused about what this thread is supposed to be for.

But heres a bit of the old n11 which is now a council yard. Its on the southern section of the Newtownmountkennedy bypass where it went from 2 lanes down to 1.

Dropped pin
    Near Newcastle Upper, Rockingham, Co. Wicklow
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rsw56

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

This junction in Ashbourne is known locally at the turnpike as apparently it was the site of a toll when the road was originally built

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5104241,-6.3968191,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1Iel-cEV89o_x2mA2VyZ0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Turnpikes are from the early 18th century, many of these have been abandoned or or used as farm laneways etc. Usually they are pretty straight, but went up hills and were replaced by later wider roads than went around the base of the hill.

There are of course other abandoned sections of more modern roads.

delly wrote: »
    Here's one for you, what formed part of M1 before it was fully finished. I've been meaning to get the drone up sometime to take a better look, but you can see how the old N1 flowed onto the new M1 at the time.

Have you got coordinates for that (or the Eircode for the house beside it)? Looks interesting. Couldn't be too far from me. Looks like the house have still got access to it (looks a bit cluttered, perhaps it's in use as a large waste bin?)

Would be a great extension to the garden if you had it haha :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement