Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sumflowers

Options
  • 07-04-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I planted a few sunflower seeds with the kids a few weeks ago and their up about 7/8 inches now, didn't realize they'd grow so quick.
    Their only in egg cartons for now so I'll need to move them to something bigger soon so hopefully the frost won't last much longer.
    We have no grass so they will have to go onto pots but how big should I get? I was hoping to get something like a deep window box, we have 4 growing so 2 in a pot would be handier but if they need to go separately then so be it.
    One last thing, what soil should I use, peat moss or earth? Or a mixture of both?
    As ye can guess I'm not much of a gardener so sorry for the questions.
    Sorry for the spelling mistake in the thread title, I can't edit it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Get 15-20 litre pots (think standard bucket sized) fill with potting compost which you pack in around the transplanted growth (about two/three inches under the lip). Water a lot, you should buy a large "saucer" plate for each pot to help keep the bottom moist and stop water running about the yard as you have an all concrete/paved back area Get a stick for each one to support the main stem as they get tall. If you think you have too many just pick the best of them and discard the others.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKImxT03tOotTvnr6vGcxJKlqcZW-PTCmh3JiyO97ryIjPsh1G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks Harry,
    Just back from B&Q with the pots, saucers, bamboos and soil.
    Hopefully they grow well now.

Advertisement