Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psychosis

Options
  • 06-04-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks

I am just wondering if someone was in psychosis would they be aware that they are or would they be completetly unaware?

thanks

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ricicle wrote:
    I am just wondering if someone was in psychosis would they be aware that they are or would they be completetly unaware?

ricicle wrote:
    thanks

I would think probably not. As far as I am aware, being in a Psychotic state of mind means the sufferer is completely divorced from reality and living in a world of his or her own. I think, like Schizophrenia, it's a difficult condition to diagnose accurately. By the way, I am not a Psychiatrist. These are layman's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ricicle

chicorytip wrote: »
    I would think probably not. As far as I am aware, being in a Psychotic state of mind means the sufferer is completely divorced from reality and living in a world of his or her own. I think, like Schizophrenia, it's a difficult condition to diagnose accurately. By the way, I am not a Psychiatrist. These are layman's opinions.
    That makes sense. I am concered for my state of mind but perhaps things are not as serious as I fear they are. thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me

R

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

ricicle wrote: »
    That makes sense. I am concered for my state of mind but perhaps things are not as serious as I fear they are. thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me

R

In what way? Are you on medication? Please reach out now for help. Do you live alone

Abba987 wrote: »
    In what way? Are you on medication? Please reach out now for help. Do you live alone
    Well I am hearing voices telling me to hurt myself, I know it is not real though and as scary as it is I am not going to act on what he is saying. Any time this has happened me in the past I have ended up in hospital and I dont want that to happen again. I havent been in hospital in 1 year and 4 months which is huge for me and id like to keep it that way but im unsure of how to get rid of it without admitting to someone i need help and potentially going in to hospital against my will which happened me last time. My next appointment with the psychiatrist isnt until the 16th of May, I could get a sooner appointment if i call the clinic but I dont want to cause a fuss either

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Yes it is pretty obvious when in a psychotic state. Of course there are varying degrees and it's most obvious and communicable in the benign stages. When things get really crazy, then the recognition of being in that state is of little concern.

That's not to say that extremely mild psychosis won't subside again. Sometimes a small and short amount of psychosis can be quite interesting to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Well I am hearing voices telling me to hurt myself, I know it is not real though and as scary as it is I am not going to act on what he is saying. Any time this has happened me in the past I have ended up in hospital and I dont want that to happen again. I havent been in hospital in 1 year and 4 months which is huge for me and id like to keep it that way but im unsure of how to get rid of it without admitting to someone i need help and potentially going in to hospital against my will which happened me last time. My next appointment with the psychiatrist isnt until the 16th of May, I could get a sooner appointment if i call the clinic but I dont want to cause a fuss either

It sounds like you are doing really well. But at the same time, it is worrying that you are hearing these voices. Well done for not acting on them. I do think it would be beneficial to explain that you would like a sooner appointment that you have something important you need to discuss. It's very important to get help if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

You are not in a pychotic state , you are in fact in a schizophrenic place . You need to get professional help OP ASAP , to manage your current state . You will be ok ,

You are not in a pychotic state , you are in fact in a schizophrenic place . You need to get professional help OP ASAP , to manage your current state . You will be ok ,

I have schizoaffective disorder, I was doing well up until this week. I'm afraid to get help because every time I hear voices I end up in hospital, the last time it was against my will and I was there for months. I have exams coming up, I can't be in hospital.

I'm on a lot of medication. I don't live alone. I live with my parents. They notice something is wrong because I get withdrawn and go in to myself, but I'm afraid to tell anyone what is going on in case I end up in hospital

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Thread locked

OP I would strongly advise you to attend A&E. This is not something you should try to handle on your own. Please do not hide how you are feeling out of the fear that you might have to go to hospital.

I'm afraid I have to lock this thread.

Once again, I would strongly encourage you to seek help with this as soon as you can. Please mind youself x

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement