Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting errors after running Bleachbit on Ubuntu 16

Options
  • 06-04-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Im getting errors after running Bleachbit on Ubuntu 16. Can someone look over the screenshot and let me know what the errors mean. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

bedlam wrote: »
    The parts it wants to clean in firefox and chrome do not exist where bleachbit is looking. Make sure that you are using the most recent version of Bleachbit, which is 2.2

Thanks for the reply, Im nearly certain the Apps have all been updated as I run the Sofware Updater frequently and nothing appears in need of update.

I used to have Chrome on it, however I do still have Firefox Browser. If I reinstalled the Browsers would it fix it

If you go to menu: help > about in bleachbit what does it say?

I dint have Pc on atm.Ill check it later and let you know

Assuming you installed it from Ubuntu software centre, I am guessing it's 1.10. Looking at the bleachbit website, the issues you are seeing were fixed in v1.12 and 2.0.

I'd suggest uninstalling the version you have and then going to the bleachbit site and downloading the bleachbit 2.2 version for ubuntu 16.04

Thats great, why would the Software Centre not have the current version.

Is Bleachbit the best option. Ive only switched over from Windows recently but Ive noticed popup ads in my chromium browser. I didnt think that could or would happen in linux

Assuming you installed it from Ubuntu software centre, I am guessing it's 1.10. Looking at the bleachbit website, the issues you are seeing were fixed in v1.12 and 2.0.

I'd suggest uninstalling the version you have and then going to the bleachbit site and downloading the bleachbit 2.2 version for ubuntu 16.04

You wrre correct. My Bleachbit is 1.1.
    I installed it as Root.

I went to uninstall it in UBUNTU Software Centre but Bleacbit doesnt show up under Installed Programs.

I presume I havd to it using the Terminal but I dont know how.

from terminal do

dpkg -l | grep -i bleachbit

and see what version is installed, likely the developers version has replaced the ubuntu one

are those the letter I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

there are 2 ways of running bleachbit,normal, and as a root user.

They do different things. Standard bleachbit can delete stuff in your home folder like chromium or firefox data , bash history, thumbnails ets. Running as root can delete non-home directory stuff like old journal files. To delete all, , as far as I know from experience, you have to run it twice, once each way.

I assume you are running normal bleachbit without it giving you the run-as-root option. If its not giving you all the FF & chromium options to delete, I would just go into the brewsers themselves, clear cache, history or whatever from the browsers and then when running bleachbit, choose overwrite free space, and also your select your home directory from the preferences/drives tab, as the drive from which to delete free space. Hopefully this should clear all the images and crap that the browsers build up on the drive over the years.

to run it as root , in a terminal, run either sudo bleachbit or sudo dbus-launch bleachbit, for more deletion options

By the way, there will be ads in either browser unless you install an adblocker add-on and (in firefox) the noscript add-on . read up on noscript before using, so you know how to get just what you want from websites while avoiding any extra crap running in the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi stockshares. Did you run BB as normal user or as root?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi stockshares. Did you run BB as normal user or as root?

Im just about to fix this. Ill let you know if ive sorted it in the next hour.

I think I installed it as Root but im not sure

For the most part, the versions of 3rd party software that ship with a particular release of Ubuntu do not change, they would only get security fixes back ported.

If you want more up to date, you usually* have to install the software the developer releases on their site, or find a 3rd party PPA.

* there's also snaps, appimages and flatpacks

from terminal do

dpkg -l | grep -i bleachbit

and see what version is installed, likely the developers version has replaced the ubuntu one

I ran the above and version is 1.10-1

human 19 wrote: »
    there are 2 ways of running bleachbit,normal, and as a root user.

They do different things. Standard bleachbit can delete stuff in your home folder like chromium or firefox data , bash history, thumbnails ets. Running as root can delete non-home directory stuff like old journal files. To delete all, , as far as I know from experience, you have to run it twice, once each way.

I assume you are running normal bleachbit without it giving you the run-as-root option. If its not giving you all the FF & chromium options to delete, I would just go into the brewsers themselves, clear cache, history or whatever from the browsers and then when running bleachbit, choose overwrite free space, and also your select your home directory from the preferences/drives tab, as the drive from which to delete free space. Hopefully this should clear all the images and crap that the browsers build up on the drive over the years.

to run it as root , in a terminal, run either sudo bleachbit or sudo dbus-launch bleachbit, for more deletion options

By the way, there will be ads in either browser unless you install an adblocker add-on and (in firefox) the noscript add-on . read up on noscript before using, so you know how to get just what you want from websites while avoiding any extra crap running in the browser.

I am running 1.10-1 but not sure if Im running as root. When I do try to run it I have to put in my Admin password so I presume it is as root.

Can i check from the command line if its root or normal bleachbit

• Advertisement

Im just about to fix this. Ill let you know if ive sorted it in the next hour.

I think I installed it as Root but im not sure

Do you mean you think you ran it as root?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Do you mean you think you ran it as root?

Yes

Yes

I see. I asked because if you run it as normal user (which you should also) - you may get errors about permissions.

I see. I asked because if you run it as normal user (which you should also) - you may get errors about permissions.

When i hover over the Bleachbit Icon on the Status bar it says As Root

When i hover over the Bleachbit Icon on the Status bar it says As Root

Do you mean the panel?

Do you mean the panel?

I mean the App icons on the bottom of the screen which you use to open Apps/programs

I mean the App icons on the bottom of the screen which you use to open Apps/programs
    Yes, that sounds like the panel.
    Are you using Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10?
    To be sure you are running as normal user, open the terminal and run:
    bleachbit

Do you still get the red text errors?
    To run BB from the terminal as root, run:
    gksudo bleachbit

Yes, that sounds like the panel.
    Are you using Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10?
    To be sure you are running as normal user, open the terminal and run:
    bleachbit

Do you still get the red text errors?
    To run BB from the terminal as root, run:
    gksudo bleachbit

Ive just run as normal by entering bleachbit in the terminal.

I got 148 errors

Ive just run as normal by entering bleachbit in the terminal.

I got 148 errors
    Close all apps - web browser, etc. Then run and see how many errors you get. I know BB can't properly clean apps that are running.

Close all apps - web browser, etc. Then run and see how many errors you get. I know BB can't properly clean apps that are running.

Closed and got 147

version is 16.04

• Advertisement

Closed and got 147

version is 16.04
    I just got 41789 errors - most were for 'permission'. Don't worry about it. Your system should be fine.

These are results of BB that I ran in a Virtual Machine (Peppermint 9 OS). Make sure you uncheck the 'free disk space' box - otherwise BB will take forever. So your errors are ok.

Normal user:

479123.png

Root:

479124.png

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

in your screenshot bleachbit wants to remove files which are not inside your /home directory and dont allow files to be modified or removed without root access. this is common when using bleachbit as a standard user, i personally wouldnt recommend using the root user with bleachbit as ive killed a few installs in the past doing so. if you dont fancy doing this theres another option you can try

check if synaptic is installed first (sudo apt install synaptic), if so open it

do an update first.. hit reload, mark all upgrades apply changes. reboot the system (safer option)
    open synaptic again then click on the status button on the bottom left
    then click residual config and press ctrl +a on the package list it displays
    while highlighted right click a package and select mark for complete removal
    then apply changes.

that should basically do the system clean for you, youll have to manually clean up browser data yourself.

Advertisement