Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2020 and beyond

Options
  • 06-04-2019 3:16pm

With 5th year nearly over I feel like I haven't learned anything. I do my homework and that's about it. I want to do well in the Leaving Cert but I don't know where to start. I know the importance of a timetable but I'm finding several subjects tough so I don't know how to squeeze everything in. Here are subject and levels:
    English - HL, Irish - OL, Maths - OL, Business - HL, Engineering - HL, DCG - HL,Biology - HL. Also thinking of sitting the Lithuanian Exam just to see how I do.
    Since I only need 6 subjects I really don't care about Irish especially if I sit Lithuanian. I struggle with DCG and Biology. DCG is a matter of practise, doing drawings in your own time. The teacher is sound and is very helpful. However Biology is just so damn annoying. The teacher is awful, shows us PowerPoints made by other people expecting us to instantly "learn" and complains about how the course is so long.
    I also want to actually learn Maths for real. I'm tired of rote learning and not knowing what to do if the question is not similar to the ones we constantly do. I'm in ordinary maths because I take slightly longer to grasp a concept than the average Joe. My class tests show that I'm pretty good ranging between 70 - 80 percent. The reason why I want to learn Maths properly is because I want to study Computer Science or something like that. One resource that I've come across is Khan Academy which apparently is recommended for beginners. It also has a Biology section. Both of which are catered for the U.S but are more or less the same. What other resources would you guys recommend? Also how the hell do I "learn" Biology? Is Studyclix worth it?
    Has anyone here done the Lithuanian exam? Is it hard?
    Sorry about the unstructured mess but I have to just let it out.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Re the Lithuanian exam - it is for native speakers, so it expects the standard you would be expected to reach in Lithuania at school leaving age.

If you are aiming for a H1, I would suggest get some revision classes from a Lithuanian teacher and read good quality Lithuanian writing and newspapers. You will be able to wing a certain amount of it, but the SEC have to be able to stand over their grade in comparison to a Lithuanian exam taken in Lithuania, so just speaking it at home will not be enough for the high grades.

If you are a Lithuanian of Russian extraction, and can speak, read and write Russian, the Russian exam would be worth taking as it does not expect native speaker standard and is relatively easy for a native speaker.

You can see past papers in both on examinations.ie

Advertisement