Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery powered external wireless camera

Options
  • 06-04-2019 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a Ring camera for above the front door but the reviews are flooded with people complaining about missed notifications and the camera not activating until people are walking away. There also seems to be a massive variation in what people are getting out of the battery. Some people report a week and others 6 months. Are these issues with Ring alone or do all battery powered wireless cameras face them?

I have a power box for the porch light out front. Could a wired camera be hooked up to that or would it turn off every time the light was turned off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I just installed a Ring stick up cam battery about a month ago and I have no complaints.

It takes a bit of time making adjustments so that it is sensitive enough to detect people but not so sensitive that it goes off with the slightest movement.

I always get notifications but sometimes they are a wee bit late. For example with the postman, they are likely to be posting the letter by the time I get the notification, open my phone and the video starts. The saved video does show the him approaching though.

I have found the battery ok, after about a month it is still 60% charged.
    Battery usage is linked to how much video you are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have an Arlo system.

Very good quality, but depending on location, it too can miss someone passing it as it takes a second or two to start recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

I was thinking of getting one of these cameras. I intend to place it in my porch so it will be a couple of feet from the glass porch door. Would this camera be suitable for this location or would an indoor camera be better?

Koloman wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting one of these cameras. I intend to place it in my porch so it will be a couple of feet from the glass porch door. Would this camera be suitable for this location or would an indoor camera be better?

Is that directed at me?

The Arlo starts recording when it detects movement, so not sure if it would detect it through glass or not?

If it could do it, then it would be ideal. No reason not to have it outside though, they are totally weatherproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have an Arlo system.

Very good quality, but depending on location, it too can miss someone passing it as it takes a second or two to start recording.

What is involved in setting up such that system? Are they battery powered?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Arlo starts recording when it detects movement, so not sure if it would detect it through glass or not?

It wouldn't work, Arlo in battery mode use IR to detect movement, but that doesn't work through glass.

OP, if you can powered cameras are generally a better option then battery if you can at all.

Battery powered cameras use low power IR motion to detection to detect motion and then wake up the camera too record, but sometimes it is too slow and might miss the movement.

A power wired camera works differently, they record video constantly and use image recognition to detect movement in the scene. Thus less likely to miss the movement.

Not saying battery powered are bad, but given the option I'd go for powered.

bk wrote: »
    It wouldn't work, Arlo in battery mode use IR to detect movement, but that doesn't work through glass.

OP, if you can powered cameras are generally a better option then battery if you can at all.

Battery powered cameras use low power IR motion to detection to detect motion and then wake up the camera too record, but sometimes it is too slow and might miss the movement.

A power wired camera works differently, they record video constantly and use image recognition to detect movement in the scene. Thus less likely to miss the movement.

Not saying battery powered are bad, but given the option I'd go for powered.

Yip, this is the one downside of the Arlo for me.

Other than that, an excellent little system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yip, this is the one downside of the Arlo for me.

Other than that, an excellent little system.

I think you can get a power cable for the Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras and if you do, then they work like other wired cameras, recording continuously and using image recognition *

* Please double check this if buying, I don't have Arlo cameras, but read about it before.

Handy if you want to mix and match, wired where you can, wireless where it isn't an option.

Advertisement