Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orchard care

Options
  • 06-04-2019 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

about 12 years ago I planted several apple, plum & pear trees more as a throwback to robbing orchards as a kid than anything else.

The apple trees have given reasonable fruit, but plum, pear and cherry have not been great.

Its about 14 trees in total and they probably have been neglected.

Can anyone link to a site or blog that would give a true amateur information on starting to look after these trees and hopefully they'll produce a better crop.

This year I did cut most of them back quite hard and have seen a better blossom especially on the plum and pear trees. But I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

These guys https://www.theorganiccentre.ie/ run courses on various topics, but if you're too far maybe give them a ring and see if they can give you any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭macraignil

vincedh wrote: »
    about 12 years ago I planted several apple, plum & pear trees more as a throwback to robbing orchards as a kid than anything else.

The apple trees have given reasonable fruit, but plum, pear and cherry have not been great.

Its about 14 trees in total and they probably have been neglected.

Can anyone link to a site or blog that would give a true amateur information on starting to look after these trees and hopefully they'll produce a better crop.

This year I did cut most of them back quite hard and have seen a better blossom especially on the plum and pear trees. But I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that :)

The RHS produce good material on plant care and here is a link to their advice on plums and pears and apples. I even tried make a video myself on pruning my apple trees. With cherries the birds seem to like them so much it is difficult to say if I have been getting a good crop or not but as with plums and other stone fruit pruning should be in summer rather than winter to avoid disease problems. If you are not going to put nets up to keep the birds off I would not be too worried about pruning to increase the yield in cherries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

New Home wrote: »
    These guys https://www.theorganiccentre.ie/ run courses on various topics, but if you're too far maybe give them a ring and see if they can give you any pointers.

Thanks - their November course sounds perfect and can blend a donegal weekend on with it :)

Advertisement