Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse manure and laurel-hedging

Options
  • 05-04-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, iv recently planted a laurel hedge. 280 plants to be exact . I put old horse manure around them as mulch, only horse manure about 2 inches thick.it's old horse maure, no smell and black. Don't know if I did right or wrong!? I also mixed the clay with some b4 planting. They are bareroot 2ft high. Any advise would be appreciate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Sounds good to me ðŸ‘. They will take off for sure. How far apart did you plant them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Noelfahy

Sounds good to me ðŸ‘. They will take off for sure. How far apart did you plant them ?

I hope they do! I planted them them one and a half foot apart. I taught I mite have over done it with the manure from other articles I have read! Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I planted about a hundred of them two years ago. 18" apart. Put chicken manure in with them and a mix of a kind of compost water sludge. They are now about 5' tall. Make sure to trim back to encourage new shoots (thicker hedge).

bunderoon wrote: »
    I planted about a hundred of them two years ago. 18" apart. Put chicken manure in with them and a mix of a kind of compost water sludge. They are now about 5' tall. Make sure to trim back to encourage new shoots (thicker hedge).

Il put up a photo just to make sure I did the right thing. How often do I trim them, I took the top off each plant after sowing. Sorry for all the questions but I haven't a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Noelfahy wrote: »
    bunderoon wrote: »

Il put up a photo just to make sure I did the right thing. How often do I trim them, I took the top off each plant after sowing. Sorry for all the questions but I haven't a clue...
    Have a look back through the threads from a couple of weeks ago, when Laurel pruning was discussed

• Advertisement

This is what iv done....

Advertisement