Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying puppy online?

Options
  • 05-04-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Just to illustrate this is very often the case when purchasing puppies online, whether that be via Facebook, DoneDeal, Gumtree, Schpok or any buy & sell.

So next time someone asks ''is it ok to buy my pup from DoneDeal, etc?" think of these poor souls who pump out, from the first heat, to provide you the buyer, with your inastpup.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is not against reputable breeders in any way but very much against all others and those who buy them online!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I recently saw a 12 year old male standard Poodle looking for a home through a selling site, he was obviously of no use to the breeder any more. He looked pretty matted and his back legs were balding.

The problem with people is that buying a puppy online is quick and easy, you can literally type in and find what you want, we're creatures of instant gratification.

People don't seem to care that buying one of these puppies is not too dissimilar to buying a fake Prada handbag. It'll look like the real thing, but it'll fall apart a lot sooner.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

VonVix wrote: »
    I recently saw a 12 year old male standard Poodle looking for a home through a selling site, he was obviously of no use to the breeder any more. He looked pretty matted and his back legs were balding.

The problem with people is that buying a puppy online is quick and easy, you can literally type in and find what you want, we're creatures of instant gratification.

People don't seem to care that buying one of these puppies is not too dissimilar to buying a fake Prada handbag. It'll look like the real thing, but it'll fall apart a lot sooner.

Buying a puppy should be made a lot easier for buyer and reputable breeder to be honest. Thar really shouldn't be the problem to be focused on here.

If anything the current set-up if just encouraging puppy farming or at least puppy of lower quality

Have a friend looking to buy a Schnauzer at the minute and the hoops and rigmarole just to get a contact detail for a breeder is complete craziness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Buying a puppy should be made a lot easier for buyer and reputable breeder to be honest. Thar really shouldn't be the problem to be focused on here.

If anything the current set-up if just encouraging puppy farming or at least puppy of lower quality

Have a friend looking to buy a Schnauzer at the minute and the hoops and rigmarole just to get a contact detail for a breeder is complete craziness

Have they contacted the breed club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Actually you know Breeders have lives too. The only large scale breeders in Ireland are puppy farmers. Most Reputable Breeders are very small scale hobby breeders but people like you think we are like Tesco & that we can just pop puppies out when needed.

I get 7/8 inquiries a week at the moment! There is simply not enough puppies & people don't want to wait or research going to the UK for a puppy. Often people tell me they don't want to travel more then a few miles to get a dog!

Another aspect is that I deem a lot of people contacting me simply not suitable - such as the query I got last week - their previous dog kept going missing & was eventually found dead in a field ' they think from a heart attack........... and they expect one of my precious babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Knine wrote: »
    Actually you know Breeders have lives too. The only large scale breeders in Ireland are puppy farmers. Most Reputable Breeders are very small scale hobby breeders but people like you think we are like Tesco & that we can just pop puppies out when needed.

I get 7/8 inquiries a week at the moment! There is simply not enough puppies & people don't want to wait or research going to the UK for a puppy. Often people tell me they don't want to travel more then a few miles to get a dog!

Another aspect is that I deem a lot of people contacting me simply not suitable - such as the query I got last week - their previous dog kept going missing & was eventually found dead in a field ' they think from a heart attack........... and they expect one of my precious babies?

"People like you" Rein your neck in a bit there would ya. Nobody is suggesting breeders should operate like Tesco.

• Advertisement

"People like you" Rein your neck in a bit there would ya. Nobody is suggesting breeders should operate like Tesco.

I am simply explaining why it can take time to get a response! As someone who gets a vast deal of inquiries I can assure you that people do indeed expect us to be like Tesco! It is you talking about hoops & rigmarole in all fairness. Of those 8/9 enquiries I might only deem 1 or 2 to be suitable owners! I have had people ring me at 2am looking for puppies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

em_cat wrote: »
    Just to illustrate this is very often the case when purchasing puppies online, whether that be via Facebook, DoneDeal, Gumtree, Schpok or any buy & sell.

So next time someone asks ''is it ok to buy my pup from DoneDeal, etc?" think of these poor souls who pump out, from the first heat, to provide you the buyer, with your inastpup.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is not against reputable breeders in any way but very much against all others and those who buy them online!

Just to update, the poor bitch has been pumping out litters since her first heat, stuffed in a cage with many pups & other dogs, she developed pressure sores because she couldn’t move. After emergency vet care she is on the mend. She’s been forced to do this for all her 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Charities are busting at the seems with abandoned pets.
    When you purchase a pet you are directly compounding this neglected issue. These shelters seriously struggle for funding.
    By adopting an animal that urgently needs a home you are relieving pressure on the system. And you can also donate money towards this worthy cause.
    What percentage of their revenu do breeders contribute to alleviate this crises?
    Some do perhaps but not all.
    It should be mandatory for registered breeders. Written in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

auspicious wrote: »
    When you purchase a pet you are directly compounding this neglected issue. !

Actually this kind of attitude is what compounds it and makes people buy from backyard breeders / puppy farmers without a second thought ... there's no education on what a reputable breeder is in this country so most people haven't a notion what to look for and what should be ringing alarm bells... Like the family around the corner from me who went to collect their girl puppy, was given in for free because 'there were lots of puppies being given away that day' and turns out it's a boy. o_O

Also not all rescues are reputable(!) some seem quite comfortable and seem to make a good living off their donations.

Charities are busting at the seems with abandoned pets.
    When you purchase a pet you are directly compounding this neglected issue. These shelters seriously struggle for funding.
    What percentage of their revenu do breeders contribute to alleviate this !

Revenue? Lol. Are we talking puppy farmers here? Tell me more about this Revenue as I must be doing it wrong?

And no. Purchasing a pet from a Reputable Breeder is not compounding this issue. Explain how a Reputable Breeder is filling up rescues & pounds?

Not to mention that some of these rescues need more investigating then the puppy farms!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I honestly don't see anything changing until puppy farms are made illegal. Some people will do their research and look for responsible breeders, other people just want a dog and will take the easiest/cheapest route. Until puppy farms are made illegal, I don't think all the education in the world will stop people taking the cheaper option, whether they actually believe that the person meeting them in the car park/showing them pups in the house with no mum is a puppy farmer or not.

Having said that... is it really the puppy farms that are filling up pounds? Over the last 2 years I've had the following fosters: 2 collies, 6 lurchers, 2 retriever crosses, one terrier mix. I just had a quick google for a pound and the most recent post has 6 terrier mixes, 2 lab x, 2 collie x, spaniel x, 7 lurchers . I am seeing more chihuahua crosses which might be puppy farms, but those terrier mixes, lurchers and collie crosses aren't coming from puppy farms...

My message is simple. There are pets of all types and breeds needing a loving home for free.

My message is simple. There are pets of all types and breeds needing a loving home for free.

The vast majority are not free though. In fact some have hefty rehome fees & if you look at the rescues online page, you will find them looking for money to pay for their premises ( free living for them) and many hard luck cases looking for donations. I know of one rescue who went to Florida twice yearly on their rescue income!

Many genuine rescues are too busy rescuing to be fleecing Joe Public.

Paying for a quality well bred & health tested puppy is not the cause of so many rescue dogs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm not denying that, but I do think it would be useful if people considered why these dogs are in pounds and what we could do to stop them going in there in the first place.

I'm not saying I have answers and I'm only offering anecdotal evidence, but it would be great if someone took a proper look at this and determined where these dogs are coming from into rescue/pounds and how we can stop it at an earlier stage.

Where?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Where?

Well <snip> for example: to adopt a dog an €80 fee is charged that partially covers the neutering, vaccinations, microchipping and internal and external parasite treatment.

Note the word partially.

Neutering a female one can expect a vet to charge €140 up to €200+.
    The cost of a two part vaccination for a dog is approx. €70.
    Worming and flea treatment approx. €15
    and to microchip which a legal requirement is €25.
    So you are looking at an approx. basic bill of €250, of course depending on size of the animal.
    These are essential if you want to be a good owner.

I'm sure these costs are included by a reputable breeder, on top of the price of the animal itself.
    So already you are making a substantial saving by adopting a dog from <snip> which has been abandoned or neglected.

Oh yeah, you can always go to the rehoming thread on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

muddypaws wrote: »
    Where?

I hope cat stories are allowed? I got my three new cats free from a lovely lady who had rescued many from street life. A local vet had helped her also free by spaying etc, and i found them on donedeal. There were scores there. Not sure re dogs .. I could not have afforded E60 or so per cat. BUT I understand rescues have to charge to keep going

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quit the sniping at each other or Im closing the thread. Also if I see one more mention of a rescue named in the forum Im starting to hand out 1 week bans for the poster.

Out of curiosity why can we not name rescues if not being libel in the post? Not trying to start an argument, just curious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Out of curiosity why can we not name rescues if not being libel in the post? Not trying to start an argument, just curious.

It doesn't matter what rescue you mention, someone will come along with something negative to say about them, it doesn't matter what their policies are. Every time I think something is OK to leave, a few posts later someone comes along with, "would you not go to a reputable place instead", "I wouldn't use that shower, their rules are too restrictive" etc. etc. We had a number of legal complaints in the past from rescue groups and the order was given from the folks in the office.

The only other option was no Animals & Pets forum. The no rescues rule saved this forum. Every other Irish pets forum was forced to shut up shop due to the threat of legal action because of what people were posting about rescues on their pages.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter what rescue you mention, someone will come along with something negative to say about them, it doesn't matter what their policies are. Every time I think something is OK to leave, a few posts later someone comes along with, "would you not go to a reputable place instead", "I wouldn't use that shower, their rules are too restrictive" etc. etc. We had a number of legal complaints in the past from rescue groups and the order was given from the folks in the office.

The only other option was no Animals & Pets forum. The no rescues rule saved this forum. Every other Irish pets forum was forced to shut up shop due to the threat of legal action because of what people were posting about rescues on their pages.

Thanks it was always something I wondered about.

Em_cat your post was in the wrong thread and the mods frown on that. The content of each post should adhere to the thread topic.

( And earlier, I do not believe we were 'sniping' at each other. Rather, we were discussing. )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Em_cat your post was in the wrong thread and the mods frown on that. The content of each post should adhere to the thread topic.

We frown on back-seat moderating a hell of a lot more than Off-topic posting. You are doing both in this post by the way.

Now can we please get back on-topic, thanks

My apologies. I did not mean to step on mod's toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll share our story with donedeal, 10yrs ago we were quite unaware of how bad the puppy farms were and were looking for a boxer, trawled through all the ads on donedeal and one just stood out to my wife.

Ad had no pictures, and all it said was boxer pups for sale, registered.

In hindsight we should have run a mile but this ad kept drawing my wife in, so she rang, was a couple in West Meath who had 4 boxers and had a litter, didn't know what to do or how to place an ad. We went up, totally genuine people, and we bought Brodi, best decision we've ever made together. we're still in touch with them now, but damn, looking at all the horror stories we were sooooo lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

god no-one should buy online.
    then again, imo there are way too many people who shouldnt be able or allowed to buy any pet.
    people will never change though.
    there will always be those who think its acceptable to treat or sell animals while showing no respect for tjem whatsoever and there will always be idiots who encourage them by engaging with them

Scudzilla, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you get your second dog from the same person? The one that died very young from a heart problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Scudzilla, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you get your second dog from the same person? The one that died very young from a heart problem?

No, we got Ozzy from a top breeder up in Newry, his father won so many awards/comps, she (the breeder) was amazing, said we could have another pup free whenever we felt ready and if/when she bred, we got Pip a year later, pip is an idiot :pac::pac:

The people we got Brodi from only ever had 1 litter, which was a total mistake

Ah, sorry my mistake. I'm glad I asked though or I'd have gone on thinking the wrong thing.

• Advertisement

Well <snip> for example: to adopt a dog an €80 fee is charged that partially covers the neutering, vaccinations, microchipping and internal and external parasite treatment.

Note the word partially.

Neutering a female one can expect a vet to charge €140 up to €200+.
    The cost of a two part vaccination for a dog is approx. €70.
    Worming and flea treatment approx. €15
    and to microchip which a legal requirement is €25.
    So you are looking at an approx. basic bill of €250, of course depending on size of the animal.
    These are essential if you want to be a good owner.

I'm sure these costs are included by a reputable breeder, on top of the price of the animal itself.
    So already you are making a substantial saving by adopting a dog from <snip> which has been abandoned or neglected.

Oh yeah, you can always go to the rehoming thread on this page.

So they aren't free. Even when taking a dog from a pound there is a charge.

Advertisement