Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC 6/10 eng locked default

Options
  • 05-04-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there,

I have inherited an 6/10 with the house I moved into, the system was ripped apart and offline and now I've managed to put it back up.

First thing: there's a red LED flashing on the PCB, I can't find any explanation for what it stands for.
    Second: resetting the system. I don't have the User Code for it but I have a hunch what the Engineer Code is (something written by hand on the PCB). I picked up the instructions from https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95622959&postcount=102 until https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95672257&postcount=113. I removed the red jumper from the Reset pin JP2 and disconnected the JP1 wire. Note I do not have a battery. The system shut down, and when turned on it displayed date, software version, checksum and Engineer locked. It asks for a User Code on the panel - is this the normal user pin or is it the same as the engineer code?

I would like to know more about https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95659522&postcount=110, what would an engineer do? Replace the eeprom?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi, the red LED flashing is as it should be.
    If the panel is displaying engineer locked that default method will not work.
    You would need an engineer to reset the system for you.
    The code its looking for is the existing user code.
    Its very unlikely the engineer code would be wrote on or inside the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 warap1

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi, the red LED flashing is as it should be.
    If the panel is displaying engineer locked that default method will not work.
    You would need an engineer to reset the system for you.
    The code its looking for is the existing user code.
    Its very unlikely the engineer code would be wrote on or inside the panel.

So if I don't have the user code then I cannot reset to default because it is engineer locked.
    What does engineer locked mean anyway, is it a "protection" in the menu settings?
    I'm just curious, how does an engineer reset the system? Connect to the board / replace a chip?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The engineer lock prevents the panel being defaulted by removing the factory link.
    We would not be allowed go into details on how to bypass the engineer lock on a public forum.

Thanks for all the useful information. Is an engineer someone formally qualified, i.e. should I look for any credentials when I shop around?

Any good engineer employed by a PSA licenced company should be able to help you out with this.
    Beware of the ones who tell you you need to buy a new panel.

• Advertisement

I rang about a dozen of companies and basically all said upgrade the panel, and the one company who can is way too expensive.

Any "boarders" around Newbridge that can offer this service please PM me.

The alternative I am considering is I buy a defaulted panel and just replace mine (I found them on ebay, not too expensive). @KoolKid do you think I'll face issues if I do this?

Unfortunately the industry is full of guys who just want to sell you a new panel.
    How expensive was the too expensive option?
    Getting a panel from ebay you should be OK. You will have to programme the system from scratch yourself .

The too expensive option was 250 quid O.O
    I'll take a shot at replacing the panel, hopefully it's not too hard to reprogram the sensors.

€250 to default and reprogramme it?😱
    It's about 30 minutes work😱
    Shop around, you should only be charged a call out.

Heh, I think I've exhausted the list for around my area, and going for Dublin will probably be too expensive or just refused due to distance.
    Will see. If it comes to replacing panel I might just as well do an upgrade to a more recent version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement