Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation Anxiety tips

Options
  • 04-04-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

We rescued a lurcher from Ashton pound on Friday. She literally cannot be left alone for more than two minutes. She starts wrecking the place. Now I know it's not going to be instant but has anyone got any tips . Like I put her in a separate room because I'm feeding the kids and she is stealing from their plates and she is howling and banging off the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

LorelaiG wrote: »
    We rescued a lurcher from Ashton pound on Friday. She literally cannot be left alone for more than two minutes. She starts wrecking the place. Now I know it's not going to be instant but has anyone got any tips . Like I put her in a separate room because I'm feeding the kids and she is stealing from their plates and she is howling and banging off the door.

Patience is the key here OP

What is her current routine?
    Ie feeding times? Exercise etc?

Establishing routine will help hugely.

How often is she fed? And what time?

Does she has a bed ? Ie in kitchen

Maybe distract her .. give her a stuffed kong (pate, cream cheese) while it’s dinner time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Set up for success and get a behaviourist to come out to you and work out a plan. It’ll save all the guesswork / trial and error and just make things easier. You’ll save yourself a lot of time and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

LorelaiG wrote: »

You need professional help OP...dogs from pounds are going to usually exhibit the most undesirable behaviors not their fault of course but they definetly need professional help more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Could you try putting them somewhere where they can see you but not come near you. Maybe a stair gate in the doorway so they are kept away but don't feel separated.
    Always feed her at approx the same time in the same location.

Advertisement