Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPON terminal Huawei HG8010H

Options
  • 03-04-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So I just got FTTH setup two day ago,

I have a Huawei HG8010H GPON (from what I understand it's also call ONT right)

I was considering changing my Synology Router for a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 12 with have SPF port.

1. Can I then totally bypass the Huawei ONT and connect straight to the router?
    (I'm guessing the answer is no as the GPON is a modem and my router is... a router! but just checking)

2. if Not what the ethernet speed of the HG8010H? I assume 1Gb/s (I was hoping for 10Gb/s, obviously my internet will remain 1Gb/s but that leave more room as the 1Gb/s are only theoretical"

3. reading the GPON manual I can see "Login to the web interface, enter the management IP of the GPON terminal / You can find the defat management IP address on the nameplate of the device" although I can't find it. any idea of what the IP or subnet is?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can't
    It'll do 960Mb+, dont worry.
    Ignore that, its provisioned on a wholesale level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Around question 1, You'd need a ONT device rather than an OLT SFP as thats the SFP is on the provider side (waves are also reversed).

A 3rd party ONT like a Ubiquiti UFiber Nano G might work once we could find out the settings to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Around question 1, You'd need a ONT device rather than an OLT SFP as thats the SFP is on the provider side (waves are also reversed).

A 3rd party ONT like a Ubiquiti UFiber Nano G might work once we could find out the settings to use

What exactly are you gaining from the use of a third party ONT? You are just opening yourself up to being booted off the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

What exactly are you gaining from the use of a third party ONT? You are just opening yourself up to being booted off the network.
    Beyond a fancy looking ONT, not a whole lot but some people like to tinker with devices to learn more with little care for consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Beyond a fancy looking ONT, not a whole lot but some people like to tinker with devices to learn more with little care for consequences

Where there is something to be gained like trying to get the VoIP password on eir or Vodafone I can understand tinkering, but risking your connection for aesthetic reasons is a bridge too far for me. Each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Than you all for the replies

To be honest, I usually just like to own my own hardwares, not only for safety and optimised settings but it's usually a great self-learning opportunity.

Also not sure do I trust Huawei to much but that's an another topic I guess.

Anyway, I'm probably better staying with my current ONT

Advertisement