Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to learn backend development?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I've been a mobile developer for a long time and I want to branch out, I'd like to learn some back end development to be able to put together my own web services and be able to find my way around dealing with databases for anything more than just basic reading.

I've tried several times to pick it up by just googling stuff and trying to work my way through it like I would picking up any language or framework in the mobile world, but it's such a different world that this approach has failed me. I either find tutorials or books that are aimed at pure beginners and I need to slog through a lot of the basics before getting to the good stuff, but I can't just skip the basics because sprinkled through out is stuff that is new to me. I never make it far through these types of things before getting bored and giving up. On the other end are tutorials on working with specific tools and frameworks but they assume you have a base level of understanding of web development, which I don't.

Any advice or links to resources I can use to learn how to write backend code. I guess specifically the biggest gaps in my knowledge are around everything other than writing the code itself, it's setting up a dev environment and actually deploying a web service so that it can be accessed online, dealing with databases etc.

Any links to tutorials, online courses, resources or books and general advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I find this site good for all types of web dev tutorials

https://www.mikedane.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do you have a preference for what technology you would like to use?

Microservices with Docker, Flask, and React costs $40. The early part of the course builds a REST API using Python, PostgreSQL, and the Flask web framework in a Docker environment. Later you learn how to deploy the application to AWS. The course covers pretty much everything you are looking for and you won't breeze through it in a few hours - it's also not a course for beginners as it assumes working knowledge of web development.

The code is available on Github so you can take a look at it and decide whether or not the course is for you.
    https://github.com/testdrivenio/testdriven-app-2.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Talisman wrote: »
    Do you have a preference for what technology you would like to use?

Microservices with Docker, Flask, and React costs $40. The early part of the course builds a REST API using Python, PostgreSQL, and the Flask web framework in a Docker environment. Later you learn how to deploy the application to AWS. The course covers pretty much everything you are looking for and you won't breeze through it in a few hours - it's also not a course for beginners as it assumes working knowledge of web development.

The code is available on Github so you can take a look at it and decide whether or not the course is for you.
    https://github.com/testdrivenio/testdriven-app-2.4

That seems like exactly what I've been looking for, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 s_mcloughlin

Pluralsight is pretty decent too (at least for .NET). It can vary depending on the tutor though. If you found a course that creates a basic CRUD app from scratch, with accompanying source code, that would be a good start

For example, Scott Allens ASP.NET MVC courses are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bswan

For example, Scott Allens ASP.NET MVC courses are very good

Find Scott Allen to be a great a teacher, explains stuff so well

• Advertisement
Advertisement