Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited ? FAKE ! (Fair usage)

Options
  • 02-04-2019 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I contacted Digiweb sale on the phone for fibre, 1gb/s first thing I asked :
    " is this totally unlimited for data allowance" and I was told yes, fully unlimited.

on they website :

"100% Fibre to the Home Connection
    Best in Class Wi-Fi Modem / Media Hub
    Unlimited Broadband
    1,000Mbps Download Speed
    100Mbps Upload Speed"

No "*" or any fair-use note on the sale page....

although THIS IS NOT UNLIMITED AT ALL.... this is a 1TB package (which is nothing.

I used to have a 4G broadband setup on a modem router, and my usual usage is 1.4TB , I'm not doing any illegal download, gaming or anything , just 6 in the house, 4 kids, two TVs often one with Netflix in 4K, iPhones, iPad, etc ...

I took the fibre as I was planned to work from home in the next few week , which probably gonna bring my usage to 2TB a months...

How can ISP provide false information , and also still live on data limitation, especially nowadays when everything is steaming, 4K, VR, and etc (not even to mention legal IPTV and and VOIP...)

ALSO WHAT WITH ISP PRICE IN IRELAND??? most of them don't even offer TV or free calls all over the word...

Just a quick exemple in France with "Free" https://www.free.fr/freebox/

1gb/s down and 600 Mbit/s up (yes, not 100mb/s....) + TV +220 channels + true unlimited call to 110 countries , some serious hardware with 1TB HDD, one server for internet with NAS and geeky tools and one 4K android TV player. all this for 14.99e a month ! and wait ....NO BLOODY 1TB download limit. (also free online newspaper and ebook)

Digiweb 1000Mb/s, 100 UP, no phone, no TV, a router that's don't even handle the speed of the fibre (how can they even provide this ....) 75e a month........

Why there seems to have no regulation with ISP in Ireland and how can that happen in 2019?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

I have Virgin Media, and I must say I've never had anyone charge me or call me about the usage policy. I won't go into too much detail but for 3 months I've had over 2 TB each month with various devices etc as you say yourself, and happy as Larry...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

mario84s wrote: »
    I have Virgin Media, and I must say I've never had anyone charge me or call me about the usage policy. I won't go into too much detail but for 3 months I've had over 2 TB each month with various devices etc as you say yourself, and happy as Larry...

Thank for your reply, I hope that's gonna be the same in my case to be fair It's my first day using Digiweb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Their main web page has a stand alone section advising of the fair usage policy? It's not exactly hidden

https://i.ibb.co/k84BQpX/Screenshot-2019-04-02-at-19-22-02.png / https://digiweb.ie/ultrafast-ftth-broadband/
    ... not even an * next to unlimited , that not event the phone call and my question "is this unlimited ? -yes there is no limit..."

but yes if you click in "Additional information" then

"Unlimited Broadband
    Our service packages are designed for use by individuals, families and small businesses, for activities that should not give rise to extreme consumption, which could potentially degrade performance for other users. We believe that our fair usage policy (https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy) meets our regulatory requirements and are in the best interest of our customers."

But again, nothing extreme with 1TB a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

There is no limit. It's fair usage. If you continue to take the piss you'll be cut off. They've every right to have it in their contracts as it stands.

Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

kevincork wrote: »
    https://i.ibb.co/k84BQpX/Screenshot-2019-04-02-at-19-22-02.png / https://digiweb.ie/ultrafast-ftth-broadband/
    ... not even an * next to unlimited , that not event the phone call and my question "is this unlimited ? -yes there is no limit..."

but yes if you click in "Additional information" then

"Unlimited Broadband
    Our service packages are designed for use by individuals, families and small businesses, for activities that should not give rise to extreme consumption, which could potentially degrade performance for other users. We believe that our fair usage policy (https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy) meets our regulatory requirements and are in the best interest of our customers."

But again, nothing extreme with 1TB a month

You probably should have asked here before signing up and you would have been told about the various FUPs some providers have.

RossieMan wrote: »
    There is no limit. It's fair usage. If you continue to take the piss you'll be cut off. They've every right to have it in their contracts as it stands.

Get over it.

the hell? I'm paying over 75e, and I can even use over a TB a month? should I stop my Netflix and only steam 720P?

also, I just can't understand the "unlimited" what is unlimited about this ?

You probably should have asked here before signing up and you would have been told about the various FUPs some providers have.

agreed, anyway, I should probably wait and see what happen before getting so upset

agreed, anyway, I should probably wait and see what happen before getting so upset

Digiweb used to be very strict about caps on their wireless service. I don't know if they are as fussy about their fibre products. It would be interesting to hear how you get on with them if you do exceed 1TB.

Digiweb used to be very strict about caps on their wireless service. I don't know if they are as fussy about their fibre products. It would be interesting to hear how you get on with them if you do exceed 1TB.

I'll give you an update (all though I'm wondering should stop my contract as I still can legally) or wait and see what happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm not sure why people would want to go with Digiweb and risk getting their account suspended if they go over.

Airwire have the same modem, no data usage/caps and are about 5 euros cheaper per month.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people would want to go with Digiweb and risk getting their account suspended if they go over.

Airwire have the same modem, no data usage/caps and are about 5 euros cheaper per month.

Checking now! thank you for the info

They only €79.00 compare to 75e, are they definitely unlimited? otherwise I'll swap alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They only €79.00 compare to 75e, are they definitely unlimited? otherwise I'll swap alright

Airwire are 100% cap free, no risk of getting account suspended or terminated as it really is unlimited. Airwire and Eir are the only two providers that are completely unlimited on OpenEir's FTTH Network, all others have caps/fair usage policys.

Airwire have the cheapest pricing of all providers.

Airwire are 100% cap free, no risk of getting account suspended or terminated as it really is unlimited. Airwire and Eir are the only two providers that are completely unlimited on OpenEir's FTTH Network, all others have caps/fair usage policys.

Airwire have the cheapest pricing of all providers.

but eir have a 1TB limit too from what I read, anyway I sent a mail to Airwire so hopefully I can cancel my contract with Digiweb

kevincork would need to clarify if they are on the open eir or SIRO network as Airwire may not be available in all locations.

but eir have a 1TB limit too from what I read, anyway I sent a mail to Airwire so hopefully I can cancel my contract with Digiweb

eir don't have a 1TB limit for new customers.

kevincork would need to clarify if they are on the open eir or SIRO network as Airwire may not be available in all locations.

I'm with open eir I think (not even sure, but looking Airwire and my Eir code, I'm eligible, weirdly not with eir.

I'm ready Eir TOS "eir Fibre (Unlimited) and eir Fibre Extreme packages are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB (1,000GB) per month. "

You sure it's ok? what would be the best ISP between Eir and Airwire? (PS thank you again for your replies guys)

I'm with open eir I think (not even sure, but looking Airwire and my Eir code, I'm eligible, weirdly not with eir.

I'm ready Eir TOS "eir Fibre (Unlimited) and eir Fibre Extreme packages are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB (1,000GB) per month. "

You sure it's ok? what would be the best ISP between Eir and Airwire? (PS thank you again for your replies guys)

Can you link to where you're reading that about 1TB please?

Here is the eir price list pdf

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

Page 7 note 6 states:
    For those customers who signed up prior to 25th July 2018, eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month; usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month. This is not applicable to customers who sign up on or after 25th July 2018.

I'm with eir and have no issues though if you need to call customer care it is a disaster. Others here are with Airwire and sing their praises.

Eir is cap-free for new customers since last July.

Customers who signed up before then can request that the cap be removed.

Airwire would be the best provider for most if, not all as they are cheaper than any other provider by about 5 euros per month and have a better modem than Eir.

I'm still with Eir and got my cap removed. The only reason I haven't signed up with anybody else is because I don't want to enter a new contract as I may be moving within a year.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, I’m gonna go with Airwire then, although I have my own router.

That if I manage to cancel my contract with digiweb but I’m only with them for 24h and also paying for 1000mb/s and having a average of 110mb/s ... so surely that’s gonna be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty sure there's a cooling off period so it should be fine

So I call for cancelation, Sale basically said that there is no such limit, and they never cancel the contract or over charge if you are going over 1TB even every single month.

Honestly, I was told a lot of .... by sales departments in the past to avoid contract cancelation so I'm not sure I want to believe is this but anyway, I'll guess I just give it a try

So I call for cancelation, Sale basically said that there is no such limit, and they never cancel the contract or over charge if you are going over 1TB even every single month.

Honestly, I was told a lot of .... by sales departments in the past to avoid contract cancelation so I'm not sure I want to believe is this but anyway, I'll guess I just give it a try

I wouldn't believe salespeople. Digiweb have their fair usage policy listed on their website, untill they remove all traces of the fair usage policy from their website, take it as a given that they have this data cap in place. For peace of mind your better off switching to a provider that you know has no limits. Airwire is a safe bet, plus you'll be saving about 5 euros per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

So I call for cancelation, Sale basically said that there is no such limit

If you didn't record the call, ring again and record it, tell them you're doing so and ask if they accept that their confirmation of no cap supersedes the info on the website.

At least they might then double check their own terms and update them.

Even better, send them an email or capture the chat if they have that function

Thanks for everyone's replies, I asked for a confirmation email :

"I would like to confirm as per my original advise when I placed your order that your data is unlimited. You will not be restricted regardless of how much data you use.

This has been confirmed by my manager whom I have also copied should you have any further queries in the future"

Can't ask for much more than that. Should be removed from the site

Advertisement