Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a small dog for an elderly person

Options
  • 02-04-2019 5:21pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, my Mam's dog was put to sleep yesterday. I'd like to get her another one but in about a month so some time can pass.

Her last one was a westie, very gentle.
    Ideally a dog that is a few years old, from a good home looking for another good home. She won't be able for a dog with baggage, or any type of dog that is big, a pup, not house trained, not good with children or a one dog house only etc.

Realistically the dog will get light exercise. Her last dog was in excellent condition but spent a lot of time in doors and was brought on light walks only. He was 15.

If you know of a suitable match can you let me know by PM please.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Best thing might be to make contact with some of the rescues and let them know what you're looking for. There are lots of older dogs whose owners pass away or who aren't able to look after them any more and they might not get homed as easily. They do terribly in the kennels because they're so used to the home life and are older themselves so by letting them know in advance that's what you're looking for they can keep you in mind if they come across a suitable dog for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rescues often have trouble homing older dogs, especially if they are on medication etc..

Our last but one dog was an elderly lad from <snip>. He had a weight problem and was on medication for a heart condition, but he perked up with us and lasted another 3 years before he had finally had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi, my Mam's dog was put to sleep yesterday. I'd like to get her another one but in about a month so some time can pass.

Ideally a dog that is a few years old, from a good home looking for another good home. She won't be able for a dog with baggage, or any type of dog that is big, a pup, not house trained, not good with children or a one dog house only etc.

Realistically the dog will get light exercise. Her last dog was in excellent condition but spent a lot of time in doors and was brought on light walks only. He was 15.

Thank you in advance

Send you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

cocker5 wrote: »

Thank you in advance

Tried to pm you but it won’t work via my phone ... a gorgeous 6 year old Westie just cane up for adoption on a rescue .. I can only pm you the details .. can you message me and I will reply with the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

A yorkie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Thank you in advance

I'm very sorry for the loss...it's heart wrenching stuff. I don't mean to intrude but it may take more than a month, have you discussed it with her. She may resent it if it's too soon. We had to have ours put down a few months ago and neither of us want another one for the foreseeable.

If all's good, consider a bichon frise...non shed, very sociable, small, good with kids and very loyal. saw a few rescues post xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You could ask your Mother would she consider fostering for a local rescue. Sometimes it can be hard to bond with a new dog if it's too soon after a beloved companion has died but with fostering there may be less guilt, as it's more about helping the dog in their "hour of need" as such. If it doesn't work out, there's rescue back up and the dog can go to a different foster home. Sometimes fostering ends up in the dog staying for life (I can hold my hand up to that one!) and rescues usually have plenty of older dogs needing foster homes as the vast majority of people looking for a rescue dog are looking for the cute puppy/young dog or a specific breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I would bring your mum to as many rescues as possible, the dog chooses you, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

FYI, just on the house training - while a rescue or a private rehoming may state that a particular dog is house trained - remember that it is house trained to the particular house it is in, but will not be trained to your home, so accidents may happen until they get used to each other. While your mums old dog may have scraped or barked to get out, many dogs will just stand at a door (which may not even be the back door!) in the hope that it will open, so there will always be a learning curve for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Don’t buy a dog if you can.theres plenty of grand dogs stuck in shelters looking for a second chance.ill never buy a dog again.rescues always here 2 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

OP so very sorry to hear about your mam’s dog, but have you spoken to her about getting another so soon?

It sounds as if your looking for a private adoption/ rehome situation. The Westie Association may be able to put you in touch with some older ones needing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

agree totally re asking her. may well be too soon. see threads here re losing a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

How elderly is elderly?

Because while she loved her dog she may not want another one, and may see this a time to be commitment free. Dogs are a huge commitment and a huge restriction on your time and can an anchor and almost a jailer in some situations.

Alternatively if she is very elderly, is there a chance that in a year or two she may not be able to care for the dog herself and the dog will again be moved on?

It is worth considering these things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How elderly is elderly?

Because while she loved her dog she may not want another one, and may see this a time to be commitment free. Dogs are a huge commitment and a huge restriction on your time and can an anchor and almost a jailer in some situations.

Alternatively if she is very elderly, is there a chance that in a year or two she may not be able to care for the dog herself and the dog will again be moved on?

It is worth considering these things now.

a lot of this is why after my dog died late last year I decided not to get another. my mobility is now less than it was and walking a dog would be hard . She needs to be consulted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I would encourage you to consider a larger dog rather than a small one if your mum's balance is in any way compromised. A bigger dog is easier to see, and can even act as a balance aid for someone with mobility issues. Small dogs can be trip hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We have a king charles spaniel and she is very docile and spends most of the time asleep on the seat...Does enjoy a walk but doesn't pull mad on the lead.
    Before we had a cavachon...Lovely little fellow. Didn't shed and wouldn't move out of your way if his life depended on it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I would encourage you to consider a larger dog rather than a small one if your mum's balance is in any way compromised. A bigger dog is easier to see, and can even act as a balance aid for someone with mobility issues. Small dogs can be trip hazards.

The reason my own parents got a smaller dog (who now lives with me :o) is because at the end of their last bigger dog's life they found it hard to lift him when he needed help.

My own bigger dog can no longer jump into the back of their car. She's only 30kg so I can lift her, but I wouldn't ask my mother to try that. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just know that was a specific worry for them. :)

Advertisement