Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography SRP

Options
  • 01-04-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Can anyone explain what an srp is to me? My daughter is struggling to get the concept and I have no idea what it is
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It stands for Significant Relevant Point.

Basically, it means a fact that an Examiner can give a mark (or marks) to.
    The Department gives these examples:
    • a statistic and additional relevant information
    • a geographical term and a brief explanation
    • a development of a point
    • additional annotation or information on a diagram / map / chart / illustration etc.

Background information could also be treated as maybe 1 or 2 SRSs, say, if a student were discussing colonialism as a background to an answer on global inequality today.

For example, in last year's HL Geogrpahy exam, there was a question on Volcanoes. This is how the marking scheme suggested it be marked.

1C. Volcanoes Discuss the positive impacts of volcanoes. [30m]

Positive impacts identified 2m + 2m Discussion 13 x SRP’s
     Credit a third positive impact identified for 1 x SRP from discussion. All other positive impacts require discussion.
     Credit one named volcano / volcanic area from discussion for 1 x SRP.
     Credit relevant labelled diagram for 1 x SRP. Diagram without labelling 0 marks.
     Credit additional relevant information on a labelled diagram for 2 x SRP’s. This must be information not already awarded in the written account.
     Information awarded on a diagram if presented must be valid and relevant to the set question.
     If only negative impacts are discussed 0 marks.

There are some outlined examples of SRPs and where the marks were allocated here: http://agti.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/AGTI-MODEL-ANSWERS-BOOK-ENDA-WHELTON.pdf (.pdf file)

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

Thanks Spurious that makes loads of sense

Advertisement