Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

how long is journey on Luas from O'Connell Street to Dundrum

  • 31-03-2019 1:36pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 seefin


    Have an appointment in Dundrum and wondering how much time I need to allow to get there.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭ Idbatterim
    Registered User


    Twenty minutes or so I reckon ...


  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ Tomas81
    Registered User


    seefin wrote: »
    Have an appointment in Dundrum and wondering how much time I need to allow to get there.

    35 40 mins, stops at every stop, ensure your getting off at dundrun stop and not Ballally as both are in Dundrun one at each end.


  • Registered Users Posts: 77,620 ✭✭✭✭ Victor
    Registered User


    The Luas part of the trip should take about 22 minutes. Board at Marlborough, not O'Connell Street.

    Put your exact locations & relevant dates & times into http://www.a-b.ie & tweak settings. Under "Trip options" & "Public transport" make sure you have selected an appropriate "Maximum walking time" & "consider nearby stops". Service seems to be offline just at the moment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭ Idbatterim
    Registered User


    Tomas81 wrote: »
    35 40 mins, stops at every stop, ensure your getting off at dundrun stop and not Ballally as both are in Dundrun one at each end.

    Luas gave 22 min as the time from ssg to sandyford when it opened. From getting the tram it’s twenty minutes give or take a few minutes I reckon. Time it op and let us know !


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 seefin


    Victor wrote:
    Put your exact locations & relevant dates & times into

    Tomas81 wrote:
    35 40 mins, stops at every stop, ensure your getting off at dundrun stop and not Ballally as both are in Dundrun one at each end.


    Going to dundrum village. Should i get off at shopping centre?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko
    Registered User


    seefin wrote: »
    Going to dundrum village. Should i get off at shopping centre?

    Dundrum stop. Use the TFI Journey Planner app or website for exact timing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ Tomas81
    Registered User


    seefin wrote: »
    Going to dundrum village. Should i get off at shopping centre?

    Dundrun stop for the village- shopping center and further up Ballally.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Tomas81 wrote: »
    Dundrun stop for the village- shopping center and further up Ballally.

    Balally for the shopping centre and Dundrum for the village.


  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ Tomas81
    Registered User


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Balally for the shopping centre and Dundrum for the village.

    That's what I said.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Tomas81 wrote: »
    That's what I said.

    Sorry the hyphen confused me


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭ Technocentral
    Registered User


    I get Broadstone to Sandyford regularly and its about 45 mins, so about 20 - 22 minutes for your journey op.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 seefin


    Thanks everyone. Will allow half hour


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 seefin


    Will there be delays on Luas because of climate change protest tomorrow . Need to get from Dundrum to heuston between 1 and 2 - bang in middle of the protest. Wondering if should change my train to 3 o'clock instead, in case delays.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ Lord Glentoran


    seefin wrote: »
    Will there be delays on Luas because of climate change protest tomorrow . Need to get from Dundrum to heuston between 1 and 2 - bang in middle of the protest. Wondering if should change my train to 3 o'clock instead, in case delays.

    Unless someone gets the pressure hoses out, inevitably there will be [email protected] blocking the bridge. Plan accordingly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭ dubstarr
    Registered User


    Tomas81 wrote: »
    35 40 mins, stops at every stop, ensure your getting off at dundrun stop and not Ballally as both are in Dundrun one at each end.

    Thats if you get on at Broombridge,from Marlborough i would say 20 minutes


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    seefin wrote: »
    Will there be delays on Luas because of climate change protest tomorrow . Need to get from Dundrum to heuston between 1 and 2 - bang in middle of the protest. Wondering if should change my train to 3 o'clock instead, in case delays.

    Climate change protestors who are protesting about sustainable public transport which is vastly more efficient than the private car? Why don't they go and disrupt some motorway or busy road that is predominantly private cars?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    devnull wrote: »
    Climate change protestors who are protesting about sustainable public transport which is vastly more efficient than the private car? Why don't they go and disrupt some motorway or busy road that is predominantly private cars?

    Some numptys attached to them climbed onto to the roof of the DLR in London talk about hipocracy.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Some numptys attached to them climbed onto to the roof of the DLR in London talk about hipocracy.

    Disrupting public transport to make it less attractive to users who then go back to using their car which does the opposite to what they are calling for.

    It's a big PR own goal for them as they're frustrating the very people that they need on-side rather than the people who are actually the problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay
    Registered User


    Tomas81 wrote: »
    Dundrun stop for the village- shopping center and further up Ballally.

    Don't mix up the Shopping Centre and the Town Centre.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko
    Registered User


    devnull wrote: »
    Climate change protestors who are protesting about sustainable public transport which is vastly more efficient than the private car? Why don't they go and disrupt some motorway or busy road that is predominantly private cars?

    Why would you think that they were protesting about sustainable public transport? Nothing could be further from the truth.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    Why would you think that they were protesting about sustainable public transport? Nothing could be further from the truth.

    They are inconveniencing people who were already doing their bit to help the climate by taking sustainable public transport. If you took your first trip for a while on transport at the Easter weekend, a time where many people who don't normally use public transport do, it's unlikely to convince you to use it more.

    Why not go out on a motorway and block the whole thing up? Why not target the modes of transport that are actually causing the biggest problems for the climate? The targeting is all wrong and whilst I support their protest, the way they have gone about it is ridiculous.

    I am in London this weekend and I don't know of a single person who has a good word to say about the protestors, even people who feel strongly about climate change and needing to do something. It's a royal pain in the ass for people who are doing their bit, to suffer whilst the people who drive and cause the damage to our climate get off scott free and drive freely.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭ joeysoap
    Registered User


    I’m not sure about targeting the motorways is a great idea either. Matthews has 21 scheduled busses from Dundalk to Dublin daily, and another 15 or so from Drogheda, that’s a potential 1,000 cars off the roads on a daily basis .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ Lord Glentoran


    joeysoap wrote: »
    I’m not sure about targeting the motorways is a great idea either. Matthews has 21 scheduled busses from Dundalk to Dublin daily, and another 15 or so from Drogheda, that’s a potential 1,000 cars off the roads on a daily basis .

    [VOICEOVER] Other modes and suppliers of public transport are available, including rail[/VOICEOVER]


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    joeysoap wrote: »
    I’m not sure about targeting the motorways is a great idea either. Matthews has 21 scheduled busses from Dundalk to Dublin daily, and another 15 or so from Drogheda, that’s a potential 1,000 cars off the roads on a daily basis .

    No way is perfect to target without causing some kind of disruption to people using sustainable transport but by targeting a motorway you're mostly effecting car traffic which is the leading cause of emissions that is so damaging.

    Disrupting things like rail transport, trams and the tube, you are targeting 100% of sustainable transport users on those modes and not effecting those that are the problem at all so it's by far worse than tackling a motorway

    I really do support the climate change movement but the way these guys have gone about it really is too extreme.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    joeysoap wrote: »
    I’m not sure about targeting the motorways is a great idea either. Matthews has 21 scheduled busses from Dundalk to Dublin daily, and another 15 or so from Drogheda, that’s a potential 1,000 cars off the roads on a daily basis .

    And also DB and GAI need to run buses on the m50 to get to their termini


  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭ XPS_Zero
    Registered User


    They're not protesting public transport, though it is, of course, a shockingly moronic own goal as someone already said, in PR terms.


    The idea is to get people to focus on the issue by forcing them to pay attention to it, but these kids clearly don't have anyone advising them with any real political skill or experience (probably because anyone who could would be considered too establishment and tainted), and if they did they could tell them that you never get people on side by annoying them or causing them hassle.


    This is why the Greek approach during the debt crises, and the Brit approach during Brexit failed, it's human nature that if you hurl abuse at someone then ask them for concessions they will not wanna give them to you. Same principle here.


    The PR own goal also makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about if they do listen to you "then why are you disrupting public transport" BOOM your arguments dead immediately, this happens to people who are pro abortion but anti contraception (not really a thing here, but in the USA), it destroys their credibility right away.


    They are correct about the urgency of the problem but their tactic for getting people to pay attention is moronic. There is a shocking level of ignorance on this topic, you hear people confusing weather and climate "how can the temperature be getting warmer we had a snow storm last month" and thinking a rising temp in Ireland will be a good thing (yeh it will, until the ice caps dump too much fresh water into the oceans, the NA drift gets shut down and the British Isles turn polar, meanwhile the mid east hits 50degrees c and where are all those people gonna go? Europe! Think we have a refugee crises NOW?)...so it really annoys me that they are making such an unholy balls of this. They are also expecting changes to happen at a pace that are way too fast and way too radical like ending all non essential air travel NOW...
    There is plenty of things we can do, some, like dealing with single use plastics we should have delt with years ago..were really behind, but there is no way we could go as fast as they want, and their tactic for getting attention is actively counterproductive, it's gonna make people think "they are morons...ergo they must not have a point" and off they'll go back to gunning the engine on their SUV.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko
    Registered User


    devnull wrote: »
    They are inconveniencing people who were already doing their bit to help the climate by taking sustainable public transport. If you took your first trip for a while on transport at the Easter weekend, a time where many people who don't normally use public transport do, it's unlikely to convince you to use it more.

    Why not go out on a motorway and block the whole thing up? Why not target the modes of transport that are actually causing the biggest problems for the climate? The targeting is all wrong and whilst I support their protest, the way they have gone about it is ridiculous.

    I am in London this weekend and I don't know of a single person who has a good word to say about the protestors, even people who feel strongly about climate change and needing to do something. It's a royal pain in the ass for people who are doing their bit, to suffer whilst the people who drive and cause the damage to our climate get off scott free and drive freely.

    Let's not exaggerate. They're holding a protest in the city centre, where most protests take place - at an off-peak time on an off-peak day. I'd guess they don't do it on a motorway because they would risk being killed or causing a collision in which someone gets killed. Climbing on the train in London was a bit dumb all right.

    I see lots of people in London cycling circles on Twitter joining in and supporting their protests. The air quality around the blocked bridge has dramatically improved over the course of a few days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭ Marcusm
    Registered User


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Balally for the shopping centre and Dundrum for the village.

    Balally for a Dundrum Town Centre maybe but Dundrum for Dundrum Shopping Centre.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭ joeysoap
    Registered User


    [VOICEOVER] Other modes and suppliers of public transport are available, including rail[/VOICEOVER]

    They are indeed but have you ever travelled this route (and by all accounts other routes ) by rail? Most of the enterprises full by the time they reach Dundalk and the early commuters quickly fill up. Only pleasant after 10am. Or should I say tolerable.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ Lord Glentoran


    joeysoap wrote: »
    They are indeed but have you ever travelled this route (and by all accounts other routes ) by rail? Most of the enterprises full by the time they reach Dundalk and the early commuters quickly fill up. Only pleasant after 10am. Or should I say tolerable.

    Yup. Trains other than Enterprises available.


Advertisement