Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mower Blade for Removing Moss and Thatch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've used one once and never again, but then I did have a proper vertical scarifier to use.

If you don't keep moving then its makes circles in the grass and then gets blocked up underneath and as you slow down to sort that out you make circles in the grass. Don't be too aggressive with the height, keep it really high so you are well above the soil and slowly move lower cutting hard into the moss is what causes the problems I had. If you don't get much off you can always get some more next time. Get too much and you'll take ages clearing up the moss and make a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just to add.
    We are using the scarifier today...well the wife is....
    Getting massive amounts of moss up....is that normal ?**

** I know it is but I might as well join the people on boards who have no common sense, can't Google, read or think for themselves :D

I'm getting at no one in particular just so we're clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Just to add.
    We are using the scarifier today...well the wife is....
    Getting massive amounts of moss up....is that normal ?**

** I know it is but I might as well join the people on boards who have no common sense, can't Google, read or think for themselves :D

I'm getting at no one in particular just so we're clear!

It is normal. If you have a lot of moss & thatch also in your lawn you will get to a point where you just don't know when to stop. Did a 500m2 lawn previously where customer kept grass cut like a golf green which results in moss thriving over the winter. Scarifying for 1st time is quite shocking in volume of moss etc raised.

Scarify. Rake. Collect with mower. Rake in different direction etc. Very time comsuming. Top dressing and seeding a great job afterwards. You will view your lawn differently forever more!

Don't cut lawns too tight. Give a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, i've used one before, they're alright

the key is to kill the moss first with mosskiller, wait for a few days for the moss to turn black then use the blade, with the mower at the highest cut setting

*use the blade on an old mower if you have one

It is normal. If you have a lot of moss & thatch also in your lawn you will get to a point where you just don't know when to stop. Did a 500m2 lawn previously where customer kept grass cut like a golf green which results in moss thriving over the winter. Scarifying for 1st time is quite shocking in volume of moss etc raised.

Scarify. Rake. Collect with mower. Rake in different direction etc. Very time comsuming. Top dressing and seeding a great job afterwards. You will view your lawn differently forever more!

Don't cut lawns too tight. Give a feed.

We're only in the house a few months so it's a first cut for me. Have some fertiliser and lime to spread on it over the weekend.
    It was very wet over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We're only in the house a few months so it's a first cut for me. Have some fertiliser and lime to spread on it over the weekend.
    It was very wet over the winter.

Fertiliser OR lime, you don't put them on together. Probably stick to the fertiliser at this time of year and save the lime for the Autumn?

my3cents wrote: »
    Fertiliser OR lime, you don't put them on together. Probably stick to the fertiliser at this time of year and save the lime for the Autumn?

It's granular lime. It's ok.

Advertisement