Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housemate to be

Options
  • 30-03-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Please I need advise on this issue.
    I am female (mid twenties~) and have been looking for accommodation for a while now and luckily found one very close to when I had to move out.
    It was the only one that accepted me. But the owner of the house is a single guy (about late 20s).

As we would be the only ones in the house, (2 bedroom apt) I was wondering if anyone can advise what type of clothes is reasonable to wear at home?
    I only have house dresses that are spaghetti and free and short that I would normally wear in the house or leggings with fitted camisole or house shorts and a camisole. I would normally have a scarf over my shoulders.

I am a petite lady and so I have always hated and still wearing sweaters and big clothes even at home. I feel like they make me look untidy. I just want to know other people's opinions on how to dress when living with a new male house mate.
    Do I go an buy new house clothes? I don't want to seem like I am trying to entice or seduce anyone but at the same time I am not trying to change myself. I may have to start wearing full clothes at home like T-shirts etc which I never really like doing but would rather wear that than big house clothes. Please can you share your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just be yourself.
    Hopefully so will he.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

There is no need to go looking for advice on this? You wear what you're comfortable with. Don't change what you wear for anyone. It'l be your home and you're welcome to dress as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Man here....

We're not all pervs or weirdos.

Maybe he will have a girlfriend.
    Maybe he won't find you attractive.
    Maybe he'll spend most of his spare time in his room.
    Maybe he won't care what you are wearing.
    Maybe he's gay.
    Maybe he's not a rapist (that's a tongue in cheek joke by the way).

As the others have said...Just wear what's comfortable and don't sweat the small stuff.

• Administrators Posts: 13,775 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Your heating bill must be huge if you're going around in strappy dresses and camisoles all year round.

Wear what you like. I'm sure he'll get used to you. He might like to walk around in skimpy shorts and flip-flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cazzer22 wrote: »
    There is no need to go looking for advice on this? You wear what you're comfortable with. Don't change what you wear for anyone. It'l be your home and you're welcome to dress as you please.

She said that the new roommate was the owner of the house. If so, she’s potentially a licensee, not a tenant, which would means she basically has no rights, and should abide by the rules of the owner. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

dudara wrote: »
    She said that the new roommate was the owner of the house. If so, she’s potentially a licensee, not a tenant, which would means she basically has no rights, and should abide by the rules of the owner. Big difference.

I highly doubt that the owner will have rules relating to how she dresses...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I highly doubt that the owner will have rules relating to how she dresses...

My point is that if my interpretation is incorrect, and she is a licensee, then she has no rights and will have to accept whatever rules the owner has. In this type of situation she needs to more aware of maintaining a good relationship with the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

As a house owner, I'd want you gone. The heating bills anywhere you live must be astronomical.

• Administrators Posts: 13,775 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If he asks you to put on a jumper/dressing gown rather than turning on the heat, how would you respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

dudara wrote: »
    My point is that if my interpretation is incorrect, and she is a licensee, then she has no rights and will have to accept whatever rules the owner has. In this type of situation she needs to more aware of maintain a good relationship with the owner.

A house owner would never dictate what you can/cannot wear. Other rules may exist, of course. It would be highly unusual for a house owner to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP your new landlord may not like to turn heating up for the sake of economy. He's renting out a room so he's probably not flush with money. That's his business but it means he will probably be careful with heating, electricity etc. I think leggings and an oversized t-shirt or sweater is fine to wear in the house. Don't worry about looking untidy. Make sure to have house shoes or slippers because some people don't like wearing outdoor shoes in the house.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It will all depend on the temperature of the house I suppose. There's not been many places where I've been able to wear what you describe you normally wear except when I lived abroad. Flatshares tend to be poorly heated.

Having lived with plenty of male and female flatmates I'd probably say that dashing from the bathroom to the bedroom in a towel that covers you is fine, maybe even ironing something wearing a towel is ok. Walking around in underwear probably not. Whether your camisole /shorts combo falls into this category you can decide. A rule of the thumb might be whether you would open the door to the postman wearing it. If yes, it's fine. If not, then chances are it's too revealing or skimpy to wear in the communal areas of a shared house as well. But stick a dressing gown over it and all is good.

Nakedness or partial nakedness, not a good idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

My rule of thumb, for male or female housemates, is that wearing underwear in daytime areas is not appropriate.

Wear whatever you like in your own quarters. But in public house share areas, wear what you’d wear in public.

I have honestly never heard of house shorts, house fitted camisoles, or house short spaghetti strap dresses in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I'm all for staying true to yourself, OP, but would you not just put on pyjamas and a hoodie after work? I am probably the most obsessed person with fashion that you could meet, but I have never come across a "house dress" situation!

On a different note, does looking untidy in the comfort of your own home really matter? Surely that's the one place where you don't need to keep up appearances. "Big clothes" can still be cute.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Last few posts deleted. If you have an issue with a post or a thread, report it. Don't discuss on thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement