Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discouraging dogs from entering yard.

Options
  • 29-03-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭

Neighbour's two dogs, little awful irritating yappy things, like mini Dobermans, having been coming into our yard since neighbours moved in. Occasional shyte left after them. Have cats so I guess they enjoy annoying them.
    I surprised them one day and gave chase, they panicked as they thought I couldn't move that fast and gave one of them a not too hard tap on the arse as a reminder not to come back.
    Well, they're back at it after a few months of staying away, only this time yapping from the road where they can make an easy escape back to their own place. We tried reminding the neighbours to keep them in from the outset but they don't take any notice. Barking is really annoying, don't want to be running out every 20 mins to shut them up or shoo them off. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you tried ringing the dog warden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Just become friends with them. Problem solved and two loyal new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Start feeding them, fatten them up good and big, get them to like you more than the neighbours .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Inform your neighbour that you've some rat poison down in your yard.

That or get the dog warden, if they have Doberman in their breeding they come under the restricted breed law which has bigger fines than the control of dogs act

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The OP didn't say they were dobermanns they said they were little yappy things. They are probably Dachsunds or Manchester terriers or just black and tan mutts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lidl had one of those ultrasonic animal deterrents for sale this week... I have no idea if they are successful though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The OP didn't say they were dobermanns they said they were little yappy things. They are probably Dachsunds or Manchester terriers or just black and tan mutts.

I'm guessing they're Miniature Pinschers? They've become quite popular in recent years. And yappytastic!

DBB wrote: »
    I'm guessing they're Miniature Pinschers? They've become quite popular in recent years. And yappytastic!

I knew I was forgetting one, just couldn't think what it was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

DBB wrote: »

Snap! One of my aunties rescued a min pin years ago, jeez I’d say she may be 12 or 13 years and still going...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ganmo wrote: »
    Inform your neighbour that you've some rat poison down in your yard.

That or get the dog warden, if they have Doberman in their breeding they come under the restricted breed law which has bigger fines than the control of dogs act

Years ago I had problems withe a neighbour letting her dog poop on my lawn. I called her, saying how worried I was as I had put strong weedkiller down.... She slammed the phone down and never a worry after that. I bet the poor dog got scrubbed head to foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

em_cat wrote: »
    Snap! One of my aunties rescued a min pin years ago, jeez I’d say she may be 12 or 13 years and still going...

Yes. One of those.

Oh ****, is that how old they get? :(

Yes. One of those.

Oh ****, is that how old they get? :(

I think it depends on their genetics and how well they are cared for, but yep the smaller the longer I’m afraid. TBH the neighbor is not being responsible as they obviously don’t train or have them under control. I would definitely phone the warden if talking to the neighbor fails to work.

Ok, it's escalated.
    Chased them out of my yard only to be roared at by neighbour for trying to "hurt" his dogs. Shouting match ensues for 5 mins.

Worried ringing warden may only rack things up to all out war being declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sounds like you need to be catching them, not chasing them. I had that problem once with a regularly-wandering staffie coming into the garden and chasing my daughter. Caught the fecker, put a collar and lead on him and called the police. Owner turned up in the meantime, lost her rag, called her dad and he ended up being arrested, charged, fined, slapped with a restraining order and ordered to pay damages. No-one in the village ever had any more trouble with that dog. :pac:

Sounds like you need to be catching them, not chasing them. I had that problem once with a regularly-wandering staffie coming into the garden and chasing my daughter. Caught the fecker, put a collar and lead on him and called the police. Owner turned up in the meantime, lost her rag, called her dad and he ended up being arrested, charged, fined, slapped with a restraining order and ordered to pay damages. No-one in the village ever had any more trouble with that dog. :pac:

Too fast, nearly impossible to catch.

People and their fücking dogs...

Too fast, nearly impossible to catch.

People and their fücking dogs...

I think you may have no other option but to phone council warden, they have many options from talking to neighbours reminding them of the owners responsibilities to fines, seizing and enforcement.

Another thing as they are renters, you could see if the property is registered with the RTB, if so file a complaint, the landlord is legally bound to address the issues and it well could be that they are not allowed pets.

Although we have dogs I would be really irritated if neighbours dogs kept wandering into my garden, but as well I’d be irritated if people’s cats roamed into my garden......mostly because I’d quite possibly become the village animal hoarder :)

Ok, if they're not bothered keeping them in, I'll keep them out. Some chicken wire did the trick.

Now hoping they cross paths with a silage trailer...

Advertisement