Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout @ new LIDL turn off?

Options
  • 29-03-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else think a Roundabout now would be much more handy than the traffic lights at the junction of the inner relief road / finisklin est where the new LIDL is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So traffic can block that up too when the next set of lights are red. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So traffic can block that up too when the next set of lights are red. I don't think so.

My first concern would have been the 2-3 lanes of traffic from each direction, and how to install a roundabout big enough with the exsisting buildings.

A tunnel starting at supermacs and ending at summer hill, would have been better there.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Noted, but maybe there should be all roundabouts down there on that 'relief' rod to keep the traffic flowing .... or a relief road ...er... for the relief road LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    My first concern would have been the 2-3 lanes of traffic from each direction, and how to install a roundabout big enough with the exsisting buildings.

A tunnel starting at supermacs Rathcormack and ending at summer hill, would have been better there.

:D

FYP :D

Noted, but maybe there should be all roundabouts down there on that 'relief' rod to keep the traffic flowing .... or a relief road ...er... for the relief road LOL :D

Half a dozen sets of traffic lights is bad enough, half a dozen round abouts would be an absolute headache along there at 8.30am in the morning.

:mad:

Plus you would have to bulldoze more than half the buildings along there to make room for them. Although it looks like somebody has already tried that with the Sinn Fein building, most of the time the pedestian barriers are replaced with tempory fencing along there.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Mint Sauce;109814681]Half a dozen sets of traffic lights is bad enough, half a dozen round abouts would be an absolute headache along there at 8.30am in the morning.

:mad:

Plus you would have to bulldoze more than half the buildings along there to make room for them. Although it looks like somebody has already tried that with the Sinn Fein building, most of the time the pedestian barriers are replaced with tempory fencing along there.[/QUOTE]

naw you mistaken me sir - i meant take out the traffic lights altogether there on that stretch and replace them with roundabouts - the traffic lights are a nightmare and hold up all the traffic, it would be more free flowing with roundabouts instead .... or at least 'smart' traffic lights which change better/faster when traffic gets backed up .

re the 'not enough room' for roundabouts I dont know about that , I am not a road engineer and have no desire to be one. I am only thinking how maybe roundabouts here would keep traffic flowing better. I didnt think i would have to be explaining how it would be possible to fit roundabouts there or provide dimensions :)

anyway , regardless - I am pretty sure I have seen similar roundabouts in other towns with the same amount of width in the road. - I bet if you took all the barriers down and the traffic islands, and the traffic lights themselves on the junction it would be a huge enough space to put in a roundabout .

only thing is pedestrians (bloody pain in the arse :) ) - you take away the traffic lights and replace them with R/abouts and wait for the plethora whinging of 'there's nowhere to cross the road now' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭This is it

naw you mistaken me sir - i meant take out the traffic lights altogether there on that stretch and replace them with roundabouts - the traffic lights are a nightmare and hold up all the traffic, it would be more free flowing with roundabouts instead .... or at least 'smart' traffic lights which change better/faster when traffic gets backed up .

re the 'not enough room' for roundabouts I dont know about that , I am not a road engineer and have no desire to be one. I am only thinking how maybe roundabouts here would keep traffic flowing better. I didnt think i would have to be explaining how it would be possible to fit roundabouts there or provide dimensions :)

anyway , regardless - I am pretty sure I have seen similar roundabouts in other towns with the same amount of width in the road. - I bet if you took all the barriers down and the traffic islands, and the traffic lights themselves on the junction it would be a huge enough space to put in a roundabout .

only thing is pedestrians (bloody pain in the arse :) ) - you take away the traffic lights and replace them with R/abouts and wait for the plethora whinging of 'there's nowhere to cross the road now' :)

Why not have teleportation and avoid all the traffic? Don't ask me to explain how it would be possible, I'm not a teleportation engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

The exit from there is dangerous too, no visibility because there is a sign in the wrong place. I much prefer the old Lidl!

This is it wrote: »
    Why not have teleportation and avoid all the traffic? Don't ask me to explain how it would be possible, I'm not a teleportation engineer.

teleportation engineer's do not exist ... but road engineers do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Galway replaced many of their junctions with roundabouts and have converted them back to traffic lights again. They are inefficient on a busy road. Traffic lights are more efficient particularly if they are timed correctly.

• Advertisement

I think you have mistaken me Andy, I know what you meant. There is currently about five sets of lights between the Summer Hill and the bridge. Replacing them lights with roundabouts will slow things down, and will take up more space. Just look at the diameter of any roundabout, on any major road, and it's wider than the road approaching/leaving it. Buildings and walls will definitely need to be tossed if you kept the current number of lanes, and I am no engineer either.

Plus, a lot of drivers really fail the basics of driving around roundabouts, expect many prangs if you were to have all roundsabout along that stretch.

No offence, but this is dafter than your motorway idea.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I think you have mistaken me Andy, I know what you meant. There is currently about five sets of lights between the Summer Hill and the bridge. Replacing them lights roundabouts will slow things down, and will take up more space. Just look at the diameter of any roundabout, on any major road, and it's wider than the road approaching/leaving it. Buildings and walls will definitely need to be tossed if you kept the current number of lanes, and I am no engineer either.

Plus, a lot of drivers really fail the basics of driving around roundabouts, expect many prangs if you were to have all roundsabout along that stretch.

;)

Andy with a daft idea? Never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A left turn only on the Lidl exit mightn't be a bad idea though...especially at peak times when the Finisklin road is usually backed up beyond the railway bridge.

I think you have mistaken me Andy, I know what you meant. There is currently about five sets of lights between the Summer Hill and the bridge. Replacing them lights with roundabouts will slow things down, and will take up more space. Just look at the diameter of any roundabout, on any major road, and it's wider than the road approaching/leaving it. Buildings and walls will definitely need to be tossed if you kept the current number of lanes, and I am no engineer either.

;)

aye - cause of course there are never ever any prangs or accidents where them lights are eh? :rolleyes:

a lot of drivers fail the basics of traffic lights too ... i.e. going through red lights there when they should stop , and doing more than 50km/h on that stretch of road...

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I'm a bit sceptical of that after seeing your thread "Motorway from Dublin to Sligo Needed Badly" and now this one.

Firstly the idea of putting roundabouts on the inner relief road would be a disaster, people turning off a roundabout would meet sequenced traffic light systems ~30m after turning off which would lead to a backlog back to the roundabout, at least traffic lights allow the system to be managed, regardless of how bad it is now.

Secondly, with the new road development between the Catragh junction and Strandhill road the vast majority of traffic travelling South from Deep Water Quay, Finisklin road and the Strandhill road should be a fraction of what it currently is. You'll have to wait a few years for it, but it'll help.

Advertisement