Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat epilepsy?

Options
  • 29-03-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

My poor cat had a very bad seizure this morning
    It was much worse before I got the camera on
    Any ideas what this affliction is?

https://i.imgur.com/bgdyBNT.mp4

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First seizure? Can be due to exhaustion. Second or more? Time to go to the vet and most likely start her on fenobarbital (it's the most common choice for treating the symptoms but your vet will tell you) and then multiple visits over the next 12 months for blood tests (to check the liver values etc.) as well as testing dosage required. The reason for cat epilepsi is pretty much unknown in 99% of the cases and hence the treatment of symptom rather than cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

My cat had a few episodes like this during her latter years. She wasnt bad enough to go on medication, but I eventually linked the seizures to flea medication. I found she would take a seizure about 7-10 days after treatment. Stopped using the spot on and her seizures stopped.

I would recommend you keep your cat indoors until you get a better idea of the frequency of seizures etc.

Advertisement