Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security basic system

Options
  • 29-03-2019 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I am sure this has been asked a few time before but my situation is a little different than the usual "whats the best system?" questions.

So I am renting a house and only plan to stay for another year. It is a new build and the landlord got the place wired for an alarm but never installed the kit. In fairness it was made very clear to me at the start that the property had no alarm. I inquired with the landlord and she does not want to install the alarm at this stage.

I am looking to install a basic temporary wireless alarm system.
    3 x door sensors on the front back and side door.
    2/3 x PIR sensors
    1 x Motion sensitive outdoor wireless camera on the cars with Mobile phone viewing

The alarm is to act more of a heads up if anyone ever came into the house at night as I would rather a little advance notice rather than someone strolling into my bedroom while I am asleep.

I am hoping to purchase my own place soon so it would be good if the system can be then expanded to a bigger system when that happens.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

You can go with one of those ebay wireless alarms kit.
    Less than 3-400 and it can be labellrd as lost in the move process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I am sure this has been asked a few time before but my situation is a little different than the usual "whats the best system?" questions.

So I am renting a house and only plan to stay for another year. It is a new build and the landlord got the place wired for an alarm but never installed the kit. In fairness it was made very clear to me at the start that the property had no alarm. I inquired with the landlord and she does not want to install the alarm at this stage.

I am looking to install a basic temporary wireless alarm system.
    3 x door sensors on the front back and side door.
    2/3 x PIR sensors
    1 x Motion sensitive outdoor wireless camera on the cars with Mobile phone viewing

The alarm is to act more of a heads up if anyone ever came into the house at night as I would rather a little advance notice rather than someone strolling into my bedroom while I am asleep.

I am hoping to purchase my own place soon so it would be good if the system can be then expanded to a bigger system when that happens.

Thanks in advance.

Always best to keep CCTV and alarm separate.
    Suppliers list is best place to start.
    Check with landlord re holes and that you may be leaving behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

If you just want something simple you could try something like the xiaomi sensors. They are small, wireless and you should be able to pick up the hub, door sensors and indoor PIRs for about 100. They are wireless and you can just use some tape to stick them to the door. I have a couple on internal doors stuck up with blue tack

https://www.gearbest.com/smart-access-lock/pp_009187704101.html?wid=1433363

They will allow the basic monitoring with email alerts or sound notifications from the hub as long as your internet is working. It's obviously not as secure as a proper system but it it's just something for a year it should cover you.

Advertisement