Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph joseph Rice Cooker on amazon

Options
  • 29-03-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I got one of these a year ago and find it very handy for doing rice; £8 Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What does the rice taste like ?
    I tried cooking rice in a microwave before and it tasted like plastic compared to cooking in a pot on the hob.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I tried cooking rice in a microwave before and it tasted like plastic compared to cooking in a pot on the hob.

Reviews seem good. I would have to presume it was a poor container that caused the transfer of plastic taste from the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Tastes grand, like rice! I've compared it to the rice you get from a takeaway and its very close in consistency, sticks together without being clumpy, as long as you follow the guidelines and get a feel for the ratio of rice to water. I can do decent rice on the stove but this saves time and faffing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have a Sistema microwave rice cooker which is similar to this I guess and if I use anything other than Uncle Ben's rice it's a mess.
    Nothing to do with measuring the ratio of rice to water, same measurements and completely different experiences.

Give it another try with Uncle Ben's.

Incidentally, if by plastic you mean hard and crunchy then you're either not using enough water or your boiling it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

SickBoy wrote: »
    I have a Sistema microwave rice cooker which is similar to this I guess and if I use anything other than Uncle Ben's rice it's a mess.
    Nothing to do with measuring the ratio of rice to water, same measurements and completely different experiences.

Give it another try with Uncle Ben's.

Incidentally, if by plastic you mean hard and crunchy then you're either not using enough water or your boiling it too long.

I've the Sistema one as well and I've been using good old Lidl rice and it cooks just fine in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lads,

I've cooked this way for 20 years on the stove. Basmati,jasmine, doesnt matter. Please dont ever use uncle bens rice.

1. Wash the rice a couple of times
    2. Boil kettle
    3. pour kettle water over rice about an inch, maybe inch and a half above the rice.
    4. throw in bit of salt
    5. stick on the stove, full blast with the gas with the lid on.
    6. wait to pretty much boil over, keeping lid always on (NEVER TOUCH THE LID!).
    7. pull off the heat for 2 minutes, put heat on low and stick her back on for 10 minutes.
    8. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on for anything from 10 - 200 minutes.

If anyone touches the lid, exterminate them. This is for fluffy rice, never a need for straining, thats for amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've cooked this way for 20 years on the stove. Basmati,jasmine, doesnt matter. Please dont ever use uncle bens rice.

Yeah, I can do that too, this is just handy sometimes to pop in the microwave for ten mins and get on with other cooking prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Must have gone back up in price as the cheapest is £19.99 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Must have gone back up in price as the cheapest is £19.99 now.

£8
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BTIVNT4/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Every Chinese household in the world (barring a few without electricity in the middle of nowhere) has a rice cooker, they work great. Throw some rice in, put your hand over the rice and fill just above the level of your hand (that how the missus does it), close, turn on and forget about it. No messing about with overflowing pans on the hob! Easy peasy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Twice as much water as rice, cover it and cook until all the water is gone (usually just short of 15 minutes), turn off the heat and leave to settle a minimum of 10 minutes, never take off the lid until serving.
    Simples

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I have this and love it

I use it for both Rice and Pasta

15 min , then leave for a few min. comes out perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

loyatemu wrote: »

thats not the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sold out, only available from 3rd parties at the original price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Screw 20 years of stove rice, i'm in!

Bloody prime makes everything so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

n1ck wrote: »
    I've the Sistema one as well and I've been using good old Lidl rice and it cooks just fine in it!

+1 for sistema one, and my Chinese inlaws love it to . makes perfect rice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thats not the same one.

I know that but it's a microwave rice cooker, it does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Lads,

1. Wash the rice a couple of times
    2. Boil kettle
    3. pour kettle water over rice about an inch, maybe inch and a half above the rice.
    4. throw in bit of salt
    5. stick on the stove, full blast with the gas with the lid on.
    6. wait to pretty much boil over, keeping lid always on (NEVER TOUCH THE LID!).
    7. pull off the heat for 2 minutes, put heat on low and stick her back on for 10 minutes.
    8. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on for anything from 10 - 200 minutes.

If anyone touches the lid, exterminate them. This is for fluffy rice, never a need for straining, thats for amateurs.

I can go even easier. Ken Homs method.

Wash rice.
    Place in saucepan.
    Cover with cold water, measuring from the top of the rice, the tip of your thumb to the knuckle is the depth.
    Uncovered, bring to a boil, then turn down heat and put the lid on.
    Perfect fluffy rice ten minutes later.
    DO NOT TOUCH THE LID, BREAK THE WRIST OF ANYONE WHO TOUCHES THE LID.

I usually throw in a few cardamon pods or a couple of star anise for some subtle flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I cook rice in the microwave using the absorption method, add 1 volume of rice to 1.5-2 volumes water (I have a 1 portion scoop), microwave until boiling on full (2-4mins depending on amount of water), then microwave on low/defrost for 10-12mins. You have to learn how your own microwave behaves, but it is very repeatable, with one microwave I use the lowest power, with another 30%.

Advertisement