Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat shíte in planter box

Options
  • 28-03-2019 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all. I kept my planter box covered for the winter however I went out the other day to tidy it up a bit and get it ready for planting and I found traces of cats being in it and a couple of old shít covered by the soil.

I tilled it and removed anything that resembling it and tidied it all up. I think its crap-free now.
    It wasn't riddled or anything, just a few.

Question is, how okay is it to plant onions and things in the box now?

I imagine its grand but not really sure. What would ye do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I have raised beds where I grow veg and it's just impossible to keep the neighbour's cats out of them during the winter. In the spring I give it a good raking etc to get out (hopefully) all the bits, then use it again. I'm sure many other gardeners have the same issues, don't think it can be helped. I wouldn't really worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Soil is not clean. Don't eat soil.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Soil-ent green is people.

(Sorri :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't eat the cats, or the cat ****. Eat the veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

what I was asking was...will the soil effect the veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The soil won't affect the veg but I have reservations about the risk from working in soil contaminated by cats. Washing it out won't do anything if it's been sitting on the soil for any length. I usually disinfect using a dilute Jeyes Fluid. Cats using my flower beds as a latrine is a real bugbear of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

If you are pregnant be very careful, cat waste can cause devastating affects in the unborn.

Advertisement