Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Fitting Opinions

Options
  • 28-03-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a few opinions here.

I was out in Halpenny golf at lunch time picking up a few bits and they have installed a new fitting bay, have to say it looks top notch! anyway I booked myself in for a fitting next week with the new ping G410 & Cobra F9 both look sexy as hell :D The fitting is totally free and your under no obligation to buy. Its 40 mins roughly. He told me a driver fitting is not that complex just different heads and shafts etc unlike a iron fitting when more variables come into play as your hitting the ground etc.

My current driver is a R11 and I was fitted in american golf for it years ago. I have been to a couple of fitting days in the Spawell & the likes and 5 years ago I got a bag fit in Foregolf got new irons rescue/5w and they all said my driver was grand a new one would justify the money as the difference would be minimal.

So here's the thing my R11 is 8 years old and I am treating myself to a new driver :) is it worth the money, foregolf is €50 or going to a Pro etc or will Halpenny be just as good as its
    just a driver fit?

They told me that they have about 10 to 12 shafts to choose from then they send your details off to Cobra or ping and you collect it in a week or two, you can pick grip as well.. very similar to foregolf I suppose.. or do people reckon I should just pay the €50 and go to foregolf or to a pro?

By the way we have no Pro at my club or clubs for sale just the basics

Oh I am going to go to the fit in Halpenny anyway as its free & I am mad to hit them :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Who gives better advice? Someone who thinks their advice is worth something and charges for it or someone who gives it away for free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think you know what you want to hear buddy, off to Foregolf and do yourself justice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

it'd be nice to see the ball flight when being fitted... I know the numbers & simulators are no doubt great & accurate enough but seeing the ball fly outdoors would be my preference.

ps after all my moaning about my new driver; I think I somehow changed my swng with it & was coming down on the ball... reverted to old ways again & it's flying more like I was used to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

benny79 wrote: »
    They told me that they have about 10 to 12 shafts to choose from then they send your details off to Cobra or ping and you collect it in a week or two, you can pick grip as well.. very similar to foregolf I suppose

Foregolf build the club in house. They order the parts and build it as opposed to order the club already built. Loads of articles on how driver lofts from manufactors are measured different to whats written on the head. If you get a fit and see good numbers and can buy that exact club happy days.

Theres no doubt going to Foregolf will cost more if only because you pay for the fitting seperate. Most times they can match or beat the price for a standard club and shaft but I have talked to some people who were fitted and got quoted prices dearer than Halpenny, McGuirks.

My experience, the driver I was fitted for had a shaft also offered by Halpenny with an upcharge, Foregolf was €249 cheaper over all. Not sure if this is usually the case, it was still an expensive buy either way.

I've been fitted by Foregolf, Halpenny, McGuirks and Titleist and I have to say, if its a gift to yourself, Foregolf has my recommendation. The experience feels much more exclusive, almost like golf pampering, compared to the rest and would suit a gift to yourself better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

With Foregolf you will hit good quality balls and not practice balls into an open field and can better judge flight and feel in that way. There is no better option though it will cost a bit.

McGuirkes offer outdoor testing for €30 (I think) from the Leopardstown range, Stephen Quinlan in Celbridge range and others that they will take off the cost of the club if you purchase.

For mere mortals, in my opinion, there is very little difference to be gained in length from any well fitted driver produced in the past 10+ years when hit from the middle of the club head as they have all been maxed out for many years. The big area of gain has been in consistency/forgiveness from off-center hits and in that regard the Ping G400 Max is one of the best and worth a try. Pure length in a driver is not the best choice but rather one that combines length with forgiveness. You also have to be able to live with the looks, sound and feel.

Good hunting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Its doesnt have to be Foregolf was just mentioning them as I had gone to them in the past for a full bag fit 5 years ago which was a great experience. My main reason for this thread is I think, well it certainly seems that the shops have greatly improved in the fitting aspect of things as the last time I was fitted in a shop which actually was for my current driver you just went in, went on the machine and hit a few different drivers and they told you which one suited you best! Now they have loads of different shafts & heads etc and the machines seem to be the latest on the market as in the trackmans and the staff seem to be more experienced. Plus their fitting bays are much bigger.

But I do agree its much better to get fitted at a range where you are hitting the ball out in the open and can see the ball flight etc.

Just on the balls I hit a m4 a couple of months ago in a Halpenny shop in Newbridge and they were using Pro v's .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Halpenny in swords have a excellent out door fitting bay at the airport driving range.
    For me have done all the options above and answer has been the same with all for driver and irons.
    For me some version of a X flex low spin driver shaft and irons project X shaft.
    Foregolf would be best if u were maybe thinking of a shorter driver shaft or something like that if not just go to any of the others, lots of tour truck fitting doing the rounds at the moment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Once you're happy that your swing is repeating and producing a consistent ball flight then a driver fitting is a great option. Think of it as a reward for putting in the work to get consistent. I would go to the range before hand to warm up as well before you get fitted.

All it will really do is optimise your launch and spin numbers and while it's nice to see the actual flight of the ball doing this in a simulator will just produce the same numbers.

DriverTrajectory_Illustation.jpg

You could be carrying the ball 300 or 200 yards depending on the clubhead speed you can physically produce but the Red line per above is what a fitter is reaching for with the Driver all within the limit of the .83 COR.

An important consideration is that you know your 'miss' as the fitter will take this into account with the litany of driver adjustments available today. Another consideration is feel and make sure you are comfortable with the look and feel of the club itself.

Test drove the Cobra F9, Ping 440 and TM m6 on Friday in Halpenny have to say the Cobra is pure sexy.. and I was hitting it the best too but unfortunely I was playing army golf and was all over the place! I have been struggling with the driver for a while now but being working on it..Then go out Sunday and I found something and was absolutely smashing it! but my chipping and putting was shocking bad! but delighted with how well I was hitting my driver again :D

I was gaining on average 30 yards with the Cobra! some different. Going to groove my driver swing for a few weeks then book a fitting with foregolf :)

Have to say I do feel a bit under pressure at fittings as he's standing there watching you hit. Its a bit weird as it doesnt bother me when playing!

I've even being dreaming about that Cobra driver since..lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

benny79 wrote: »
    Test drove the Cobra F9, Ping 440 and TM m6 on Friday in Halpenny have to say the Cobra is pure sexy.. and I was hitting it the best too but unfortunely I was playing army golf and was all over the place! I have been struggling with the driver for a while now but being working on it..Then go out Sunday and I found something and was absolutely smashing it! but my chipping and putting was shocking bad! but delighted with how well I was hitting my driver again :D

I was gaining on average 30 yards with the Cobra! some different. Going to groove my driver swing for a few weeks then book a fitting with foregolf :)

Have to say I do feel a bit under pressure at fittings as he's standing there watching you hit. Its a bit weird as it doesnt bother me when playing!

I've even being dreaming about that Cobra driver since..lol..

This is termed 'gross mis-hits' during a fitting :pac:. These shots are discarded during the fitting so just ignore them. Looks like you know the club head you want and with Foregolf it will really be all about the shaft. It will thus be a much more fine tuned experience as you will not need to go through the initial merry go round of trying the different brands. The remit from you to the fitter will effectively be "I want the F9, let's match it to a shaft that tightens up my dispersion".

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    This is termed 'gross mis-hits' during a fitting :pac:. These shots are discarded during the fitting so just ignore them. Looks like you know the club head you want and with Foregolf it will really be all about the shaft. It will thus be a much more fine tuned experience as you will not need to go through the initial merry go round of trying the different brands. The remit from you to the fitter will effectively be "I want the F9, let's match it to a shaft that tightens up my dispersion".

Yea True.. I felt the fitter Friday was kinda trying to push the M6 a bit. but because my misses were left and right he did say im best to leave it to my swing is more consistant. I also felt when I got a bag fit in foregolf a few years ago they to pushed TM but that could of been down to me having a TM driver and I might of said I like them. Actually all the drivers I owned have being TM.

Im delighted the Cobra was the best as its a smashing looking club! Plus I was very surprised that I was Averaging 30yards more distance wise! As I was always under the impression with drivers being restricted theres not much in old vs new models but suppose my driver is 8 years old.. (R11)

Advertisement