Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i use a European firearm pass when studying abroad.

Options
  • 28-03-2019 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Can i use my European Firearm Pass as somewhat as a gun licence when studying abroad is their any limits on the stay or other limits i might be studying abroad in a few months and would like to continue the sport of shooting i plan on studying in poland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Answer ...NO.
    The EU firearms pass doesn't override national law of the country you are visiting. It is literally a passport for your guns that you are taking to whatever country to go shooting in. So unless you are taking our guns to Poland to go shooting, at a specific place or time, which requires some more paperwork to prove you have a ligt reason to be bringing them in in the first place. As you will be studying there,you will be more or less resident there, so you will have to abide by Polish firearms rules...Which TBH are a lot better than here, with a much better selection of shooting clubs for various disciplines as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

.....take France for example, as Grizz said you need a valid reason to have your firearm there, so let's say hunting is your valid reason, then you need a hunting permit, for France it must be specific to a region or national at various costs. Then you are limited to the amount of cumulative time you can have your permit for, off the top of my head we're talking a few weeks at most per year.... so you will very quickly run out of vaild reasons if going down the hunting route.

You could end up having to export / import your firearm if You go down the residence route. Then you may be obliged to complete a serious of certifications etc etc to qualify as a trained hunter in that country and so on and so forth ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

cosieman wrote: »
    Can i use my European Firearm Pass as somewhat as a gun licence when studying abroad is their any limits on the stay or other limits i might be studying abroad in a few months and would like to continue the sport of shooting i plan on studying in poland.

Get in touch with the Polish embassy for advice or contact the Polish governing body of the discipline you're involved in for a nudge in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Poland? Not as easy as you think...there are not so many guns in private hands as you might imagine.

The reason for the low number of guns could be the fact that it is quite difficult to obtain a gun permit. There are a few conditions that have to be met by the applicant, who…

… has to be 21 or older;
    … has to undergo psychological and psychophysical tests;
    … cannot be addicted to alcohol or other drugs;
    has to have a permanent place of abode in Poland;
    … has to have a clear criminal record;
    has to pass a special exam about gun usage, control and regulations.
    The overall costs of obtaining a standard permit are about PLN 2,500*. If you wish to apply, you need to file the form to the police station in your place of registered address.

Depending on your reason for getting a gun (sports activity, self-defence, hunting, historical re-enactment, collecting, inheritance or training business activity), you will need a different set of documents. E.g. to get a gun on the grounds of sports activity, you need to be a registered member of a shooting association and have a licence for that.

You can bet your life that there are no English versions of these forms either.

*PLN 2500 = ~ eu580.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As you already have a EFP, you'll need to do this -

'Information for applicants wishing to obtain a permit to carry firearms to and from Poland.

Please be informed that from 01st May 2004 all European Union nationals arriving in Poland as well as all Polish nationals who are residents of one of the European Union countries wishing to travel to Poland for the purpose of hunting or sports events will be allowed to take their firearms and ammunition on the basis of an appropriate permit, such as:

European Firearm Pass or a certificate issued by the Polish Consulate.
    During the period of the validity of either certificate the bearer is entitled to purchase ammunition for the weapon specified in the permit but only for hunting purposes or sports events.

If the certificate is required to be issued by the Consular Section of the Polish Embassy in London the following documents need to be submitted:

I. Valid passport

II. European Firearm Pass

III. Hunting voucher or an invitation to take part in a sport event (confirmed by an appropriate, regional commanding police officer)

IV. A letter of application, which should contain the following information:

1. PERSONAL DETAILS OF AN APPLICANT

name and surname
    permanent residence address
    address of temporary residence while in Poland

2. INFORMATION REGARDING FIREARMS CARRIED:

type of firearm (e.g. hunting riffle, pistol, shotgun)
    make, model
    serial number
    bore and year of production
    other characteristics
    number of magazines

3. INFORMATION REGARDING AMMUNITION:

type of ammunition
    number of rounds
    caliber

4. DETAILS OF TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS:

purpose of bringing the weapon to Poland
    date of entry
    date of departure
    means of transportation
    In case of an European Firearm Pass the following requirements must be met:

the firearm must be listed in the document
    to a valid document confirming the purpose of the visit must be issued by appropriate authorities in Poland.
    Documents can be brought in or posted to our office. Providing all documentation is in order the Consular Section issues the permit, which must be then presented to the border guard upon the entry into Poland. The consular fee is (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) currency of your present domicile country, but around EU50.

Payment is accepted in cash by cheque or by Postal Order (made out to Polish Embassy).

Credit or debit cards are not accepted.

Note that it is only valid for 30 days from the date of arrival.

• Advertisement
Advertisement